Thursday, September 12, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Crumb Top Bars

I love a good challenge, especially when it comes to recipes. That is one of the reasons I joined with Sheryl at Lady Behind the Curtain. Each month there is a dessert challenge. She gives us two ingredients and we create a new recipe. Not one we have posted before. And we all share them on the same day. You can see them all below.

I wanted to do something a little different, it is different for me as I don't normally do "bar" type desserts. I do cakes, brownies, pies, cheesecake, trifles and parfaits. Okay, gosh I do a lot of desserts. Oh yeah, and cookies.Ha!
I wrote this recipe 4 times, I kept changing my mind on a few of the ways I was going to do this. I finally made my decision and hit the kitchen.
WOW, it was really good and my husband loved it. But then again, what does he not love, right? Cheese, bbq sauce, salmon, brussel sprouts are some things he doesn't like.

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Crumb Top Bars
3/4 cup butter, room temp
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Grease a 13x9 pan and preheat the oven for 350 degrees.
Mix your ingredients well and reserve 1 cup. Now press the mix in the pan and bake for 15 minutes.
While this is baking, step two.



3 granny smith apples
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 TBSP brown sugar

Peel, core and small chop the apples. Place these 4 ingredients into a skillet. Do not add any liquid as the apples cook they will sweat. Adding liquid will create too much liquid which will make the crust soggy. We want thick saucy apples not runny. Cook these for about 7 minutes.

When the crust has baked 15 minutes remove it from the oven. Pour and spread the apples over the crust. Now add 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional) over the apples and sprinkle the remaining/set aside crumb mix.

Bake for another 15 minutes.

Remove and cool.
Drizzle glaze on top, if desired. 1-2  cups powdered sugar, 2 TBSP milk.Mix well and drizzle on top.
ENJOY Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment