Wednesday, September 4, 2013

ABCD chocolate bites

A B C
Easy as 1 2 3

Did Michael Jackson pop in your head? I was sitting here trying to think of what to call these little delicious bites of goodness.

A = almonds
B = blueberries
C = cranberries AND
D = dark chocolate

Ya'll know I love chocolate and my desserts. However, I have been cutting back. In doing so, I am having massive chocolate fits/cravings. I needed, yes needed, something to keep around that would not be 'as' bad for me.

I love granola but honestly it can be fattening as well. AND I just wanted chocolate.

Looking in the cabinet and really wanting a Almond Joy or something like that, which I did not have :(

This is what I came up with.



One more thing before we get to the recipe. Today is my mother's birthday. She does not read my blog, but I'm hoping that today she will.

My mother has been through a lot this year. We lost her sister and best friend, to add to that we lost my Daddy. All in the same week. Not just this year which made it twice as hard.
She has handled it all with grace and a strength that I don't think she even knew she possessed.
My mom has been the care giver, she was the stay at home mom, she cooked, baked, sewed, did the yard work and never has complained. Life has not always been easy. As a matter of fact it has been down right cruel at times. As an only child and growing up with little, I saw my mom sacrifice so that I could have what I needed and sometimes things I wanted. She would go without eating so that we could. She made my clothes, she learned how to pinch a penny until it screamed. Our bills were always paid, there was always food on the table and our house was always full of love.
In the last years, since my dad became disabled she took on even more of a burden. Care giver. She still has not complained.
She took care of my dad and then added her sister to the mix. She has spent the last 5 years running everyday. Taking one or both to numerous doctor appointments, treatments, surgeries and so on. She has taken her sister shopping when she could no longer drive. 
My moms days have been taken up 24/7 in caring for others. So to loose them both within a week of each other, her world drastically changed. She has had to learn how to live again. How to be a person, a widow, a total different life. Not what she expected and not what she wanted. Still she has not complained.
My mother is a person of great and quiet strength.  At 69 years of age, she hardly has any gray hair, some wrinkles but goes and does more than most 40 year old that I know.
She loves her family, working in her flowers (that is her therapy) playing Candy Crush and zoo and her Facebook friends.
She is a devoted grandmother. She keeps my grandbaby everyday and  cares for this rambunctious 2 almost 3 year old, with more energy, attention and concern than you would expect. The TV is not the babysitter.
She works in her yard, goes shopping, walks, cleans and keeps in touch with family and friends.
There were times growing up that we did not see eye to eye, but I never hated my mom. I never shouted or called her names. I see teens these days and it makes me cringe. I always knew that even when I didn't like something , she did it for my own good. I respected that.

So today I'd like to say I Love You Mom and happy birthday!! May there be many more!



ABCD chocolate Bites
1 cup dried blueberries and cranberries
1/2 cup raw chopped almonds
1 bag dark chocolate chips
1 TBSP olive oil
fresh cracked sea salt, optional for garnish

In a medium size sauce pan, slowly melt the chocolate with the olive oil. I did this to help it set up and add a richness without more sweet.
Allow to cool slightly. 
In a large bowl, stir chocolate, blueberries, cranberries and almonds.
Drop by the spoonful onto wax paper OR as I did, place mini muffin cups in a mini muffin pan. Drop the spoonful in each cup.
This mix made 30.
Garnish with fresh cracked sea salt.
Place in the fridge to allow setting and cooling. 
These can be stored in an air tight container in a cool place or the fridge.

ENJOY

This recipe was linked up at:
Yesterfood - Treasure Box Tuesday
Feeding Big - In and Out of the Kitchen (Monday night)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment