Thursday, August 29, 2013

Green and Cheesy Chicken Casserole

I know you may think it's crazy, a casserole in this heat? Yes, we had a fall like day, pouring rain and I wanted something 'comfy'.

This is not my normal recipe as I used a can of soup in this, rarely if ever do I do that these days. We are eating much healthier and more "real" food. However, I did in this recipe. You can create your own cheese sauce if you like.

My husband who for some reason is not a big fan of cheese LOVED this casserole. I was a little worried when I stuck it in the oven. I thought, now why did I do this, but thankfully he really enjoyed it.

Since it is just the two of us these days, I knew this recipe would leave plenty of leftovers for several lunches. Which it did. This would easily serve 6-8 people if you had bread and a salad. For us, he is a big 'manly' eater, it made 6 servings.

This is also budget friendly. I buy a big bag of the frozen chicken tenders for less than $6 and I can cook from this bag 3-5 times depending on what I fix.
The bag of peas was 99 cent and I only used 1/2 cup. So I still have 2 1/2 cups to use. The can of soup was $1.19. I had the spices on hand and the rice. So you're looking at a $3 meal plus sides, that will make 6 servings. Yeah, that fits my budget greatly.


Green and Cheesy Chicken Casserole
5 boneless skinless breast tenders
1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 can Campbell's cheese soup
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup frozen peas

Dice the chicken and stir all the ingredients into a 13 x 9 baking dish. Slide in a preheated oven. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350 for another 15 minutes. Allow the liquid to cook out and the rice to be tender.
Serve with a salad and bread, I did anyway.

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment