Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Cuban Chicken Salad

You may not have noticed, but I'm trying to lighten my load. Literally. I am fixing more salads, lighter meals, healthy breakfast and lunches. No I am not giving up my desserts, that is why I have to lighten everywhere else.

I came to a very shocking discovery, in the last year, since I started blogging. I have gained 20 lbs. OMGosh yes, 20! NOT cool. I would love to blame it on my healthy, which is not good, but to be honest it is most likely my eating habits and lack of movement. The lack of movement I can blame on my health but my eating, well that's just because I enjoy it.

I have been on the lookout for easy healthy recipes that my husband will enjoy without complaint. Also creating foods that are lower in calories and fat. To which he has not caught on. Oh crap, I did forget however that from time to time he reads my blog.
Sorry honey!

Here is a salad I made this past week that he really enjoyed, so did I. I found a similar salad in a (1996) Betty Crocker cookbook and changed it around to suit me. Here is my version. (this is not your 'ordinary' chicken salad.

Cuban Chicken Salad
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 can mandarin oranges, in light syrup,
**drain the oranges but save the juice
1/4 cup lemon white wine vinegar (or any wine vinegar would work)
1 can black beans, low sodium drained and rinsed well**these can be heated separately and stirred in last
2 chicken breast, boneless skinless and diced
1 tsp dried cilantro
1 tsp black pepper flakes
1/2-1 tsp red pepper flake (more if you like heat)
Mixed baby greens or any greens for salad

Cook your diced chicken with the juice of the oranges,vinegar and spices. Once it is done, add in the remaining ingredients except for the salad. Heat through. Be careful not to stir to often or the beans breakdown. Allow the mix to cool slightly and serve over greens.
Simple, delicious and healthy

**If you wanted, this could be made without the chicken as a vegetarian meal. It is full of protein, low carb, low fat and filling.
ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment