Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Bacon Onion Dijon Vinaigrette with wilted kale

Oh how I love it when I have an idea, a 'different' idea and it turns out so well. 

When my husband ate this, he said, "I have no idea what I'm eating (meaning the vinaigrette) but it is so good, restaurant quality. What is it?"

Jack Pot!

That really made my day. 

Have you seen FoodRush? I watch it on LWN, if I happen to be surfing and see it on. Not like I have a timer set. Too much to do to sit around and watch cooking shows.
Anyway, they had a bacon vinaigrette one day and it got me to thinking.

My husband has found recently that he likes kale. I have been using it a lot. So I thought what could I fix as a dressing over wilted kale, other than his hot pepper sauce.

Bacon and onions are always a hit, now what if I added Dijon to it, oh yes I was on to something.

It may not be a gorgeous dish in the photo but it really was pretty but even better was the taste.


Bacon Onion Dijon Vinegrette/Vinaigrette
2 TBSP oil
1 large Vidalia onion, diced finely
1 package precooked bacon, finely chopped
2 TBSP apple cider vinegar or red/white wine vinegar(whichever you have)
2 cups vegetable broth or water
2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 tsp Dijon mustard

Cook the onion in the oil, when the onion is almost translucent add the bacon. Stir well, reduce heat to a simmer and add the remaining ingredients. Allow this to simmer while you cook the chicken and the liquid reduces by 1/2 or more.

Saute chicken in a little olive oil with fresh pepper. Slice and serve the vinaigrette over the chicken and wilted kale.

To wilt the kale, place several cups in a pan with a few tablespoons of water, cover and allow the steam to 'wilt' the kale. Remove and serve. You can wilt or saute the kale as much or as little as you like.

I served the wilted kale over a bed of Israeli tricolor couscous. Delicious! 

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment