Monday, August 26, 2013

Asian Inspired Steak Marinade


I love steak, my husband is not a big fan (shock I know) mainly because he has problems with his back teeth and says it is too hard to chew.

I don't eat it often, but every now and again, more so lately, I crave steak. It is just not in our budget to go out and eat steak right now or even buy 2 big juicy steaks for the grill.

My solution? A chuck sirloin tip steak from my local butcher. One cost me less than $3 and it was plenty for the two of us. How you ask, because I marinaded it, sliced it thin, added peppers and onions. This along with a rice vermicelli side dish and a big salad. Followed by dessert of course.

This is a very frugal meal. Main dish, two sides cost me $3 per person. I can not go to a nice sit down restaurant and eat for that. Plus, the whole cooking process took 15-20 minutes. You could prepare the steak marinade the night before, come home and be eating in less than 30 minutes. How great is that?


 This marinade is simple, easy and can be double if you are fixing more than one like I did.

I mean, come on, look at this! Fabulous and oh so yummy. Great "man" food and it was very tender. He really enjoyed my "stir fry". That's what he called it. Or a new take on pepper steak.


Asian Inspired Steak Marinade
.67 lb lean chuck sirloin tip steak (what I used)
1/2 large Vidalia onion sliced
2 sweet salad peppers

1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
2 limes zested and juiced
1 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp raw honey
1 tsp chipotle chili sauce
1 tsp garlic

Mix the marinade well in a zip top bag. Slice your steak and place in the bag. Keep in the fridge for at least 4 hours no more than 24.

When you're ready, allow the meat to come to room temperature. Toss in a skillet with 2 tsp of oil. Saute until almost done, add in the remaining marinade, peppers and onions. Stir until the liquid disappears/reduces and thickens/caramelizes.
Serve with rice and a salad.

ENJOY
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment