Monday, July 29, 2013

Ugly Peaches n' Creame Pie with home-made whipped cream

Happy Monday. Okay, it's Monday, not so sure about the happy part. It is super hot and muggy outside already. Yuck AND we are expecting more rain. I don't ever remember a year so filled with rain. We have been in drought conditions for...I'm not sure. I think about 7 years. Now we are WELL above our yearly rainfall due to the last 2 months. Severely flooding, ruined crops, collapsed roads, it is terrible.
For those of you in the flooding areas. I pray safety for you and that you don't lose your homes.
We are expected more rain everyday this week. Glad that the river is 3 miles from us and down hill some.

There should be a road, grass and a driveway here. About 25 minutes from my home.

On the right you can see the top of a car floating but yet someone STILL tried to drive through the water. You never know how deep or fast the water is. DO NOT try to drive through flood waters.

*************************************
Okay, enough of all that. On to the recipe.

Have you ever had an idea in your head that worked but when you tried it - it bombed. Yeah, that's this pie. It taste great don't get me wrong. If it tasted bad I would not dare put it up here. However, I want you to know that everyone fixes something that just doesn't work out all the time.

My grandmother used to say that ugly cakes and pies were the best tasting. Well, this is one ugly pie and it tasted great. I will try again and see if I can fix the issue but for now. I thought I'd share it anyway.

UGLY Peaches N' Creame Pie
4 peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pie crust
home made whipped cream
1 1/2 cups Almond Milk
1 pkg french vanilla pudding

I used a pre-made pie crust that you unroll and bake. My crust don't normally turn out very well so I thought I'd cheat. HA! that didn't help much. When the package says DO NOT grease the pan. They know why. I did and well, my crust 'slid' down and formed lumps. Oh well. Lesson number one. Follow instructions.


After the crust was baked and cooled off. I prepared the pudding with 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk. Letting this firm and then spreading it in the pie shell.
While this was going on I sliced, pitted and peeled the peaches. Cooking them in the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Once they have cooled and the pudding has set. Lay the peaches on top.
Chill again for at least an hour. * Lesson number 2 I was impatient and so when I sliced it the pudding was not set enough and it ran. Hence the 'ugly' pie.
Top with homemade whipped cream and the juice from the cooked peaches.


ENJOY

Oh wait, you don't know how to fix home-made whipped cream? You buy the can or plastic container stuff? Well, I did too until I fixed my own. OMGosh there is NO comparison. Once you make your own, see how easy it is and how fabulous it taste, you won't buy the other stuff again.

Homemade whipped cream
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

Pour your cream into a bowl and start your mixer on low. Beat for 5 minutes. 
Add 1/2 the sugar.
Beat for 5 minutes on medium/high speed.
Add 1/2 the sugar and the vanilla.
Beat 3 minutes on medium/high and then switch to high for 1 minute and back to low for 1 minute.
DONE
You will have the loveliest whipped cream and oh so decadent!
*I stored the leftover whipped cream in a plastic air tight container in the fridge. It lasted a week before the tiny amount left was tossed out. I have not tried to freeze it but I'm sure you could.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment