Monday, July 22, 2013

Home made tomato sauce

We were over run with zucchini for two weeks, now it is tomatoes. At least it did not happen all at one time. With so many tomatoes, I've made salsa, spaghetti sauce and I decided to can my own tomato sauce.

Homemade Tomato Sauce
2-3 qts tomatoes (I used 5 types of tomatoes)
2 cups water

Cook this down for 20 minutes and then add:
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
4 basil leaves
1 TBSP olive oil

Cook for another 20 minutes. Allow this to cool to room temperature. Then you pour it into a Vita Mix and blend well. After this is done I poured the mixture through a strainer to removed all the seeds and bits of skin left from the tomatoes.
Ladle into sterilized jars and place in your canning pot.
Can process as you would any jar.
Cool and store.


As you can tell I recycle jars :)

Enjoy!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment