Monday, July 1, 2013

Afritada-Filipino Chicken Stew

As of today, Google Reader will be no more. So if you were seeing these post with the reader, you need to either sign up for the email (on the right side bar) or you can follow me through Bloglovin' HERE

Do you like to try different foods? Especially dishes from other regions or countries? I do, I LOVE "International Cuisines".

Forgive me as I jump around here with my randomness  We have a garden, like every year, and each year something in the garden decides to take over. This year oddly enough, it is EVERYthing. Seriously, we have a monster garden. With humongous plants. You can see what I mean here.



 These squash leaves are over 12 inches in diameter and you can see below they are over 36 inches high.



One of the things I was disappointed about was these gypsy peppers. I thought I had sweet salad peppers. Which I adore. These have thin skin, look and smell like baby bells but are not as sweet as salad peppers. But I have a ton of them, so I'll be using them. Waste not want not.


Trying to use my peppers, I was searching around the net and found this Filipino chicken stew, which is traditionally made with pork. However, I don't buy pork as a general rule. So I used the "other white meat" chicken.

Here is my version:

Afritada - Filipino Chicken Stew
Marinade:
4 TBSP soy sauce 
3 TBSP rice vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 lb boneless skinless chicken (I used breast because it is what I had)

5 small red potatoes (cubed)
5 gypsy peppers, seeded and sliced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
2 TBSP homemade BBQ sauce (you could use tomato paste which it originally called for and more spices)

Marinade the chicken for 6 hours. In a hot skillet with half the oil, cook the chicken until it is no longer pink on the outside. I cut my chicken into 1 inch pieces before cooking. Once it is no longer pink on the outside, remove from the heat and set aside. In the same skillet add the remaining oil and cook the potatoes for 10 minutes. Now add your chicken back in, with the marinade and all other ingredients EXCEPT the corn starch and peppers. Simmer for 20 minutes. Lastly stir in your cornstarch and peppers. Simmer for another 5-10 minutes until it thickens to the desired consistency.
Serve over rice. I used yellow rice for an added flavor and flare.

ENJOY




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment