Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Scramble Dog and 1 year BLOGiversary

WOW where has the time gone?
Today Spatulas On Parade is one year old.

It is crazy to think that it was only one year ago that I decided to bite the bullet, jump in with both feet and begin this fabulous adventure. In the last year I have learned a lot, changed the blog around a few times but more importantly I have made some wonderful friends. Ladies who have answered my questions, have given me advise and critiqued when asked. The 'foodie' community is very supportive and I am so glad to be part of it.

I have made a new dish almost every single day (that I was home and not out of town) and my husbands waist line and mine are proof that each dish has been delicious. ha ha

We have enjoyed trying new foods, spice combinations and ways of cooking.

My recipes have been featured as viewers choice and top votes on Foodie Friends Friday numerous times, featured on other blog hop parties, on Daily Dish the online magazine, allfreecasserolerecipes.com AND most recently Alton Brown "pinned" one! I have done several guest post for other bloggers as well.

If you are new please follow me via: bloglovin', twitter, Pinterest, Google plus and Facebook. All links are on the right side bar.

Today I am going to share a crazy recipe with you. Scramble Dogs. The first time and only place I've ever seen or heard of these, is at a little hole in the wall called Johnny's in Fitzgerald, Georgia. That is my husband's hometown and his parents favorite spot. 
The first time I visited with him, we all loaded up and went to Johnny's. Everyone was all excited. Why I wasn't sure since they said they went everyday.
My husband, boyfriend at the time, was salivating over his 'scramble dog' when I asked what it was, they looked at me like I had two heads.
When it arrived, I was like "uh no way am I eating that" I was a lot more picky back then.

For some reason the last few days, that crazy dish "scramble dog" keep popping in my head. So at the 'over-the-moon' joy of my husband. I made them. Easy, different and surprisingly good.

My husband said they were "right on the money" and the chili was FANtastic! 


Scramble Dogs
1 package of hot dogs (I used all beef Ballpark franks)
package of hot dog buns
oyster crackers
dill pickle slices
shredded cheese (your choice of type)
sliced jalapenos
homemade chili (no beans)
*Johnny's does not use jalapenos and adds slaw*

homemade chili
1 1/2 lbs lean ground chuck
1 cup water (divide in half)
3 tsp each: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and paprika
2 tsp soy sauce
2 TBSP tomato sauce
2 TBSP mustard
6-8 TBSP ketchup
Cook the meat, spices and 1/2 cup water. Break down into tiny tiny pieces and allow to cook through. Add the remaining water and ingredients. Simmer for 20 minutes. Slice the hot dogs and add 12 minutes before you are ready to eat.


Assembly:
bun
oyster crackers
hot dog with chili
mustard
shredded cheese
jalapeno slices
pickle slices

ENJOY!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment