Thursday, May 2, 2013

Everything Tropical Cake (dairy free)

First things first. Today is my wedding anniversary. Happy Anniversary to my honey. Twenty-two years married and twenty-four together. Almost a quarter of a century. We have been through ups, downs, kids, over 30 moves and here we are. Empty nest, country living with our garden, chickens, dog and cats. 

The photo on the left was taken at our wedding ceremony. We were married on May 2 in Dillon, SC and then had a ceremony with family and friends on June 18th in GA. I really don't like the way I look in the photo on the right, but how many of us ladies really do? I am the photographer, so getting a photo with us both in it, is rare.


NOW on to the post:



If you looked at the title, you are probably thinking, didn't she just do a tropical cake? The answer is yes, yes I did. However, I wanted to amp it up.

It was also an experiment to see if I could make a cake without dairy that was something other than chocolate. NOT that there is any thing wrong with a dairy free chocolate cake (wacky crazy egg free chocolate cake).

It worked!

So here is a small, easy, everything that I think of as tropical in a cake. I hope you enjoy it as much as we are.



Everything Tropical Cake (dairy free)
1 1/2 cup flour, plus 3 TBSP
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix all the dry ingredients well.
Add:
1 cup mango nectar
1 tsp white vinegar
5 TBSP oil
Mix well.
Add:
3/4 cup grated carrots
4 TBSP crushed pineapple (drained)
1/3 cup coconut flakes
Stir well and pour into a small baking pan. I used a  2.2 quart rectangle pan. Approximately 6 x 10 inches. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Frosting:
1/2 can classic creamy white frosting mixed with 1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice. pour on top of cake and 
ENJOY


Just look at that lovely golden color, that is from the mango juice. oh and moist! YUM


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

21 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary :) My husband and I have 17 years together and 16 married in July! Our baby is turning 16 soon too, so I am not quite sure how I will deal with the empty nest! I love to see long lasting marriages...its quite rare today!

    Pineapple and coconut had me sold, then you added mango...wow! Thats right up my alley where it comes to cake, and I like the dairy free! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you, a little early. We had both been married before and both have kids from that time. So when we got together we knew what we did and did not want or would/not put up with.
      Hope you try and enjoy the cake.

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Time does fly.

    I can't wait to try this cake, I'm always looking for something new and different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like different :)
      Thanks hope you try it

      Delete
  3. Dillon? Crazy! I lived in Marion as a kid =)

    I love mango and pineapple. And cake. My man is all about the tropical fruits, too, so I'll have to show him this one when he gets back from deployment next month!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents were married in Dillon as well, they have been married almost 50 years.
      Thank your husband for his service! Pray he returns safe and sound. My youngest is in the USAF, still at tech school.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness!!! You knew I was going to L-O _V-E this cake!!!! I'm crazy over everything tropical!!! Congratulations on your anniversary too! Many Blessings and well wishes for many more!
    and sending you an email in regards of something I just noticed...let me know when you get it! Hugs, Lizy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it and replied.
      Thanks, I love tropical fruits. My husband only loves pineapple but he really loved the cake last night.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Visiting and now following via G+

    I'd like to invite you to link up on my Bloglovin Blog Hop!

    Bloglovin Blog Hop

    Take care,
    Meg
    Happy Kids, Inc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. I'll see if I can find your hop

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary :) The cake sounds fabulous! Pinning to try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie. We have almost eaten it all. oops :)

      Delete
  8. Oh wow this looks great! Happy Anniversary too!

    Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

    Holly at Not Done Growing

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I am at the store I always get the peach nectar, I need to look for the Mango. Looks great :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dawn
    This looks amazing. I gotta try it. Thanks for sharing at our Recipe Hop Today. I want to eat at your house, lol
    Angel @ sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fruity cakes! Yummy! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #12!

    ~Amber
    Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
    http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete