Monday, April 29, 2013

Tropical Paradise Cake

 Last week my husband came home with a bottle of DonQ coconut rum. A customer had given it to him. I said, but we don't drink rum. His response was, "well, I'm sure you can come up with some recipe to use it in". Well, that was a challenge and of course to me that spells F U N.

I had some mangoes, which I had been thinking about pureeing and putting in a cake or cupcakes. I thought, hey, a tropical cake. Rum, coconut, mango, sounds good to me. So off I went to the kitchen.

Pureeing the mango in the food processor did not give me enough liquid, so I used mango nectar that I purchased from the Latin section in the grocery store.

Now, I do not drink and my husband is not a rum fan, so I went LIGHT on the rum. You could add 1/4 cup and cut out 1/4 cup of the mango or follow my recipe, that is your call.




Tropical Paradise Cake
1 pkg coconut creme pudding
1 3/4 cups mango nectar or  pureed mango
4 eggs
1 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1 1/2 TBSP DonQ coconut rum

In a mixing bowl place the butter, eggs and run. Allow to mix well. Next add the mango and pudding. Blend thoroughly.

2 cups flour, all purpose
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Combine these ingredients and stir well. Add to the above mix slowly and blend well. I mixed all ingredients with my Kitchen Aid Stand Up Mixer.
Spray and flour a bundt pan and pour batter in.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the pan inside and reduce the temperature by 25 degrees. Bake for 55 minutes. Turn off the oven and open the door. Let the cake set for 10 minutes. Remove and invert onto a plate and wire rack. Allow to cool and pour frosting over the top.

Frosting
1/2 can whipped white frosting
1/4 cup mango nectar
Blend well and pour over cake

ENJOY





Image and video hosting by TinyPic

18 comments:

  1. Dawn, this looks SO luscious and moist! I love that it's a bundt cake! WANT! ;)

    Love, Joy @ Yesterfood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bundt cakes, I swear I think it's about all I do. It is moist and oh so good! (to quote the late great Mr. Food)

      Delete
  2. This sound absolutely divine. And I know you read my FB page so you know there's a bunch of that Rum going in my cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL my husband thought it needed more but I can't drink alcohol, health reasons, but you could pour it over the baked cake. Like a traditional rum cake.

      Delete
  3. That is definitely tropical ~ I'll have to send this recipe over to my family in Hawaii. I'm sure they will LOVE it!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put crushed pineapple in it but didn't. I think I will next time. Then I'll have ALL my tropics covered :)

      Delete
  4. Mmmmh this looks so moist! I love mango nectar!
    I bet a bite of this cake transfers you to a Hawaiian Beach (in your mind of course haha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It transports you somewhere that's for sure. I just take a bite, sit back, close my eyes and ahh tropic breeze!

      Delete
  5. That looks delicious. All the flavor combinations sound great.

    Very creative, I could never just come up with my own recipe. That is a definite talent.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. I love the flavors and I love experimenting.

      Delete
  6. I love cakes like this! =)
    It sounds so good!

    Following you from "The Scoop" @ Katherine's Corner!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by. A delicious cake that we are enjoying.

      Delete
  7. We recently took a Caribbean cruise - this makes me think of that. Looks fantastic (and I happen to have some rum that we brought back for use in things just like this)! I'd love for you to bring this to Tuesday's Table at Love in the Kitchen (http://zentmrs.blogspot.com/2013/04/tuesdays-table-for-april-30-2013-and.html)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. You may want to add more run than I did, depends on your taste.

      Delete
  8. On yum, rum is my favorite!

    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure the rum made the cake really moist and delicious! Yum!

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete