Saturday, April 27, 2013

Taco Salad


One of my favorite quick and easy go to meals is a taco salad. So easy to throw together, with or without meat, add beans and rice if you want and have time. Otherwise, it is as quick as 20 minutes start to finish and on the table.


This time I made my taco salad with Mexican blast spice blend that was part of my Foodie Pen Pals box this month. You can read all about it here on the 30th when the reveal is posted. Otherwise I normally use my own Taco Seasoning Mix. 

Taco Salad
Romain lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
1 lb lean ground beef
1-2 TBSP taco seasoning
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
4 sweet salad peppers, diced
4 green onions, diced
1/3 cup water
In a pan add your ground beef, seasoning and water. Break down the meat and cook until done. Now add the beans and stir well. Cook until the beans are heated through. Lastly add the veggies. I don't like mine mushy so they are not left in for long. I cook them until they start to get tender but still have some stability to them.
Top the lettuce with the meat/bean mixture. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa or whatever else you like. Sometimes I serve this with saffron rice.
I used to add fresh or frozen corn to the mix but am cutting out GMO foods.
Enjoy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

  1. Everything with ground beef gets my "thumbs up" and this salad looks sooo delicious! I especially love how easy it is and that it uses ingredients I always have at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a ground beef lover. This recipe is great and easy to change up, add to or take the mix and place it in taco shells, flour or corn tortillas instead of a salad.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's the perfect time of year for Taco Salad, and this one looks so fresh and pretty! YUM! :)

    Love, Joy
    Yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taco salad and yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so delicious!! YUMMY! Just pinned. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Bouquet of Talent this week. So thrilled to have you share with us. Happy Friday!!
    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by to let you know you have been featured over at One More Time Events. Thank you for sharing... hope you can join in again this week http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/05/share-it-one-more-time-features-and.html

    ReplyDelete