Saturday, April 13, 2013

Strawberry Stacker

I stopped in to Wal-Mart the other day to grab just a few items and was pleased to find strawberries when I walked in the door and cheap too. So I grabbed a few quarts and went about my way.
Later the next day I was standing in my kitchen trying to decide on a dessert and thought I really wanted to use the strawberries. Not having time to bake a cake for strawberry shortcake, I thought I'd improvised.
It was light, cool and refreshing. Just what we needed since the weather had decided to jump from 50 degrees to 80+. Crazy NC weather. We always say "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes cause it's gonna change". Seriously, it does.
I chose to make a "small" dessert since it is just my husband and myself. I am still not used to making anything small. I am so accustomed to baking/cooking for a crowd or at least 4 hungry guys. sigh...empty nest is NOT fun. I miss my guys. Okay before I start wandering down memory lane and boring you to tears, let's get to the recipe.


Strawberry Stacker
1 quart strawberries, washed and hulled
1 package french vanilla pudding
1 3/4 cup milk
6 graham crackers
sliced almonds (optional)
First I washed and hulled the strawberries and sliced them. Then I took my grandmothers small casserole baker and placed 3 graham crackers in the bottom. Then mixed the pudding and allowed it to set some. Half the pudding was spread over the crackers. Next came the stacking. Strawberries, crackers, pudding, strawberries and topped with sliced almonds. It made for a pretty dessert.
Enjoy!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

10 comments:

  1. That looks tasty! You can't go wrong with any kind of strawberry short cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that really does taste good! I love the addition of sliced almonds, I bet it give the dessert a little crunch!

    I have some Pyrex kitchen ware with that pattern! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I love it when strawberries are in season - not for another 7 months or so here unfortunately. Your dessert looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea!!! I just bought a bunch of strawberries, so I may have to try it :) I'll probably top mine with some whip cream too!

    http://www.sarahowe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, I was out of store bought cool whip and cream. But it was light and delicious just like it was.

      Delete
  5. Oh this looks so good! Totally my kind of dessert :) Guess who has all the ingredients at home and will be making this tonight?!

    ReplyDelete