Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Lumpia

Years ago a friend named Rita introduced me to her famous "Rita Rolls" (that is what I called them because I could not remember the name - Lumpia) which are long thin deep fried spring rolls. OMGosh talk about delicious and addicting. I loved them and she would make them by the hundreds and hide them in her purse and pass them to me at church like we were dealing drugs. Ha ha we kind of were. I was so addicted to them but that's ok. I helped her make them one day and totally understood why she didn't make them often. They are exhaustive but so worth it.

She and her family moved, due to the Army, and she took with her the Lumpia recipe. I beat myself mentally for not getting that from her. Over the years I have thought about those often.

Then recently I found Abby at Manila Spoon. She too is from the Philippines and she had Lumpia recipes on her blog. Imagine my joy at finding this!
My husband and I have been shopping at a local Asian store recently and I saw, yes you guessed it Lumpia wrappers. Oh man, I was so excited. I purchased them along with all the other things I needed.

So I attempted to make them. And the result? Success!

Lumpia
2 lbs ground pork
1 pkg Lumpia wrappers (makes 50)
oil for frying
1 large carrot
1 medium onion
2 large cloves garlic, pressed
5 TBSP soy sauce
salt and black pepper to taste

In a large sauce pan cook the pork and when almost done add the carrots,onions and garlic. (these were put in the food processor to chop super small). Add the soy, salt and pepper. Allow this mixture to cool off. Then roll 1 TBSP in each wrapper. They are super thin, keep them covered with a wet rag so they don't dry out. Roll them long and thin. Deep fry or pan fry. You can bake to eliminate to reduce fat. Serve with sweet n' spicy chili sauce or eat plain.
Enjoy






Image and video hosting by TinyPic

10 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. Pinning them so that i can make them some time.. When I am eating grains again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grains? You must be referring to the wrappers. Worth it , trust me.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of these, but this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they are. Similar to egg rolls but the wrapper is so light and crispy, much better.

      Delete
  3. Oh my this looks amazing! Gotta try this recipe-- pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! Looks like a garlic breadstick somewhat. Definitely pinning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I guess I can see the breakstick. I had a picture of the two platefuls, I mean 50 lumpia! YUM I think it got deleted. :(

      Delete
  5. These look really good! I have never heard of them before, but I love spring rolls, so I am sure I would love these!

    Pinning!

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete