Thursday, April 18, 2013

KFC copycat cole slaw

You don't have to be from the South to enjoy good cole slaw but we seem to eat more of it than others. I grew up eating it at-least once a week. My moms is nothing like KFC, which I love, and when I did some research and found different blogs and websites with "copycat" KFC cole slaw. I knew I had to try it.
Did it work? Was it KFC? The answer, Yes. Now, let me say, it is much better the second day. I made several substitutions due to what I had in my cupboard, but in the recipe I made the notes of what was called for and what I used.
Here it is, served with crock pot ribs and roasted asparagus.


KFC copycat Cole Slaw
4 cups cole slaw mix, (I bought the prepackaged shredded tri color and chopped it smaller)
1/4 cup mayo (most said use Helmann's I used Dukes)
3 TBSP sugar (I used honey powder as I was out of sugar)
3 TBSP milk
3 TBSP buttermilk
4 tsp lemon juice
4 tsp white vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp onion powder
Mix all the ingredients and chill, for best results chill overnight.
Most recipes I saw were double this amount of all the ingredients. I didn't need that much as there are only two of us now.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

12 comments:

  1. I have made lots of coleslaw over the years but have never thought of using buttermilk, nice.
    Thanks, BBQ season is coming and we eat a lot of coleslaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have five or six recipes that I switch between and I never used buttermilk either. It does make a difference and it is like KFC

      Delete
  2. My grandma grew up in a town in Virginia that had one of the first KFC's - still the best fried chicken and cole slaw at that location - I think they do something different than the KFC's in the midwest - so flavorful!

    Okay, now I want fried chicken!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah I want fried chicken as well. I Love the cole slaw too and thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  3. Hi I found your Blog on the Blog Hop, I'm your newest followerf you have a chance please do check us out also,

    Navin
    www.monthlyfreebiez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Your blog is awesome! I found you on Sew Crafty Angel! I'm a new follower and would like to provide a link to my blog!! I'm a brand new blogger and hoping you can follow me at http://mybutterflyhaus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I eat from KFC is the coleslaw - I am literally addicted to it! This recipe is so perfect for me to save money by making it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you'll save a ton if you eat it often. This makes about 6 good size servings.

      Delete
  6. Hi Dawn; We are so happy to have you join our Busy Bee's party. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe. My hubby will be so happy that I finally found a good coleslaw recipe! Thanks again!
    Joye & Myrna
    The Busy Bee's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dawn,
    This looks delicious. Looking forward to trying it out. Thanks for linking up at Home Educator Mom this week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete