Monday, April 22, 2013

Honey Lemon Sorbet

 As many of you know, I purchased a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker not that long ago. We have been thoroughly enjoying it. I have done chocolate and strawberry using fresh local berries and now a sorbet.
Anyone who has been around me for more than a few minutes knows my favorite flavors are chocolate and lemon. So I had all these lemons setting around but I wanted ice cream. Then I thought, why not lemon ice, no lemon sherbet, no lemon sorbet, oh wait, let's add honey instead of sugar! Now I had it, but honey is thick and will it freeze. Wait for it, here it is:
Two weeks ago I found honey powder at the Asian store. WOW, dehydrated honey, so you can use it in place of sugar and use less. Now I was onto something.
I used the honey powder and fresh lemons. Now, warning, if you don't like tart, you don't want this. It was almost jaw locking and then a touch of sweet. Perfect after our rich supper of ribs, slaw and asparagus.
You can double this recipe as I made a small batch, one to try and two there is only two of us and we like a different dessert daily, so I didn't want a ton. Yes I know it freezes but...well the more there is around, the more we will eat. So just a small amount is best.

Honey Lemon Sorbet
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup honey powder
2 TBSP zest
pinch salt
1 cup fresh lemon juice

First prepare a lemon simple syrup; water and honey powder plus half the zest. Add this to a sauce pan and simmer until all dissolved. Remove from the heat, add salt and lemon juice, then cover for 2 hours in the fridge.
After it has chilled for at least 2 hours or over night, turn on the maker, pour the liquid into the frozen freezer bowl and let it mix until thickened about 15 minutes. Add the remaining zest about half way through the mixing.
Transfer this into a freezer proof container for 2 hours. Scoop out and serve.
Enjoy



Recipe Linked up HERE Image and video hosting by TinyPic I was featured at: fivelittlechefs.com

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of honey powder, so there's something new I'll have to look for.

    And I LOVE tart, so this has my name all over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never either, but when I saw it at the market, I knew I had to try it. I love it.

      Delete
  2. And I just put another item to my monthly "order at Amazon" list - Honey Powder! I love everything in powder form haha, but I have never heard of powdered honey - I MUST have it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha +HungryLittleGirl I knew you'd love another "powder" to try.

      Delete
  3. Dawn,
    I never heard of honey powder either. Where can I get it? If found your recipe on Marvelous Mondays.
    Annamaria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can purchase it online at Amazon but I purchased mine at a local Asian store.

      Delete
  4. I need to find Honey Powder! I think we have a few Asian shops around here, so I will be on the look out!

    This is a great sounding recipe and it is very healthy!

    Thank you for linking up to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link party! I can't wait to see what you bring next week.

    Cynthia at http://FeedingBig.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jutta said she found it on Amazon.com but I bought my locally. It is not expensive. A quart jar for less than $5. Cheaper than raw honey which I love.

      Delete
  5. This sounds so refreshing and light. Thank you for sharing about the honey powder.
    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-butterscotch-apple-fluff/

    ReplyDelete