Thursday, March 21, 2013

Making Caramel

Have you seen this on Pinterest? Making caramel sauce from a can of sweetened condensed milk. YES it does work. I was skeptical at first and worried that I was wasting this can of scm but so pleased when I finally was able to open the can. I actually did two cans at once.
I say finally because it is not a quick thing to do.
Here is the deal:

Sweetened condensed milk to caramel sauce
Place a towel in the bottom of your slow cooker/ crock pot. If you don't you will have rust rings that will NOT come out when you are finished.
Remove the label from the can and place the can inside the pot upside down. DO NOT OPEN THE CAN
Now cover with water completely. The water level must stay over the top of the can for it to work.
Next set the temperature on LOW. Leave for 8 hours.
After 8 hours, remove the lid and turn off the pot. Allow water to come to room temperature.
Remove the cans and store in the pantry or use right away.
BEST EVER caramel!!

Enjoy!!



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

  1. The cans are sealed when you put them in there right? Why do they have to be upside down? Does that have something to do with opening them back up?? I have never heard of this but it sounds great. What are you going to use the carmel for now??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, unopened can. Why upside down? I assume because the newer cans are pop top. The recipe for what I used the caramel for will be up tomorrow. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Dawn,
    Amazing recipe. I hadn't seen this yet. Will definitely try it.
    Annamaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about it but WOW, yeah, definitely try it.

      Delete
  3. I have seen this and thought of trying... Now I know I should. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what you make with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I already used it, post goes live in the morning. Oh man, talk about good!

      Delete
  4. YUM!!!! I LOVE carmel!! Thanks for stopping by my site today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never spend a cent on store-bought caramel anymore! I love this! Hooray to the Crockpot :)

    ReplyDelete