Friday, March 29, 2013

Easter guest post


Easter in Germany
First of all I want to shout out a huge 'hello' to the wonderful readers of Spatulas On Parade! I am Jutta from HungryLittleGirl – if you have been around for longer, you saw a couple post of me here already ;) It's always so much fun to do this Guest Post Exchange with her! (Yes that means today she is posting on my page, so don't forget to head over later and see what she has to say).
Easter in Germany is very traditional and strict. I don't know anyone who doesn't follow the rules. It all starts on the first day after carnival – usually the middle of February (carnival in Germany is three months long, but that's a different story) – on this day we start to fast until Easter.
The Thursday before Easter you have to eat something green, preferably spinach and the Friday before Easter only fish is allowed.
Funny Fact: This day McDonalds sells more Filet-O-Fish than on any other day haha.
We start off Easter Sunday with a great Brunch – Kaiser Rolls, Yeast Braids, lots of Jam, Sausage and Butter! After that the kids go egg hunting.
I still love that part and still do it! Yes, I ask my husband every year to hide my chocolates, so I can search for them ;)
The day ends with a feast! Traditionally lamb, lots of lamb, grilled outside with pretzel dumplings, beer sauce, and potato salad!
Easter Sunday is a official holiday in Germany and is used to go to church!
Now before I show you all the deliciousness, lets have a quick look at the decoration you will find in every village, town or city during Easter Time. These Easter Fountains get decorated the Saturday before Easter as a sign that a huge feast is coming up and the fasting is over!



The most famous sweet Easter treat in Germany is the Easter Lamb! It symbolizes Life and Innocence – Jesus Christ! This recipe I share now with you is my grandpas and I have never shared it before! You need a lamb baking form, but that's easy to get on Amazon!



What you need:
3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
1 cup powdered sugar
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup eggnog
How you make it:
  1. Preheat your oven to 340°F and spray your lamb form with cooking spray,         then dust with flour (inside)        
  2. In a large bowl beat egg whites and half of the powdered sugar until stiff, set aside         
  3. In a medium bowl combine egg yolks, remaining powdered sugar, salt, lemon peel and vanilla sugar and beat until foamy (about ten minutes)        
  4. Add softened butter and beat for another 2 minutes        
  5. Add flour and baking powder, mix until just combined                 
  6. Add eggnog and mix until well combined                 
  7. Last but not least fold in the stiff egg white mixture                 
  8. Pour into lamb form and bake on the lowest rack for 35 minutes                 
  9. Let rest 10 minutes before taking off the form, then dust with lots of powdered sugar :)
And here is the recipe for Pretzel Dumplings. Whatever roast you will make for Easter, try it with these dumplings, they simply fit to everything and are so so full of flavor!

Click HERE for the recipe
Other than that everything with carrots, orange color or bunnies on it kind of counts as a Easter Dish, right?! I have made a healthy egg, flour, dairy and sugar free version of Carrot Cake Bars so you can enjoy Easter the healthy way :)

Click HERE for the recipe
This year I didn’t fast. I thought if my grandma can’t see me it wouldn’t matter, but let me tell you I feel super guilty! I am definitely doing it again next year - pinky promise ;)
Now all I have left to say is: Enjoy the holiday with your family, have lots of fun, good food and a successful egg hunt!


Thank you so much Jutta for sharing with us. If you enjoyed this post be sure to comment below and visit HungryLittleGirl and let her know you read about her here.

Have a blessed Easter everyone.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment