Saturday, February 2, 2013

Osso Bucco

For several years I have heard "osso bucco" on older cooking shows. I was always curious and wanted to give it a try.

I found a recipe and it sounded simple enough and tasty.

This was prepared in a cast iron dutch oven.


Osso Bucco
3 large beef shanks
2 TBSP olive oil
5 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup carrots sliced
1 tsp garlic
1 can Italian stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp dried basil

Start off by searing the beef shanks. Remove and set aside. Add the oil, onions, carrots and spices, saute for 3-5 minutes. Add the red wine and broth to deglaze the pan. Next add the tomatoes and beef shanks back in. Cover and simmer for 2 hours on 350 degrees.
Serve over mashed potatoes with a nice green side.


Feeding Big

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Osso Bucco...but the photo and th ingredients sound like something my family would definitely like...seems most things in a cast oven they like!!
    thanks for the recipe.
    I am your newest follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an old recipe, think early years of Julia Child. It was so good and tender, roasting in the covered cast iron is really wonderful.

      Delete
  2. I haven't made this dish in a long! This is the perfect winter comfort food~ Living in Northern WI it has been below zero and this would take the chill away:) Following you from the Social Sunday Hop! Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a perfect comfort food. I was comfortable after eating it, and full!! brr you live in a cold place lady. wooo we thought it was bad here when we had 3 days of temps below 20, thankfully that is NOT the norm.

      Delete
  3. Osso Bucco is new to me, but it looks delish! I might be making this soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    New follower from the blog hop. Hope you can stop by my blog and follow back.

    Phylicia
    http://heartsncraftsboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete