Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brownie Cheesecake

Thank you for stopping by, for updates on all that is happening be sure to "like" my Facebook page. I also tweet about post and give away prizes, so be sure to follow me @spatulasonparad. If you are like me, Pinterest is a big deal...SpatulasOP is where you'll find me. Writing this blog, my creative outlet and writing for Daily Dish, check it out.



First let me say THANK YOU to my faithful readers, I know I've been missing for 2 weeks but I had to go home and help my mom. My dad has been bad off for some time and we needed to place him in a nursing home permanently.  It has been a difficult time. Now I'm home and ready to cook and blog my blues away.
I came home the day before Valentine's Day. When asked what he wanted  my husband said DESSERT. So here is what I did for him.

The mix of cheesecake and brownie really balance each other out and add a richness without being overly sweet. ha If that was possible :)

Brownie Cheescake with chip shaped heart

Brownie Layer:
1/4 cup butter, soft
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbs cocoa baking powder
pinch salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare a 8x8" baking pan by lining it with foil and spray with non-stick spray.  Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together your butter and sugar.  Mix in your oil and then add your eggs, beating thoroughly.  

In a small bowl, sift together your flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.  Slowly add your flour mixture to your wet mixture, stirring well, until it is completely mixed together.  Set aside.


Cheesecake Layer:
1 block cream cheese, soft
2 Tbs butter, soft
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar

In a mixing bowl, cream together your cream cheese and butter.  When thoroughly mixed, cream in your sugar.  Now add your egg and beat until completely worked in and mixture is smooth.  

Pour your brownie batter into your prepared pan. Evenly smooth out the batter in the pan.

With a large spoon, scoop out a spoonful of the cheese mixture and place a dollop in each corner of your pan on top of the brownie batter.  


Now do the same all around the outside edge, then work your way into the middle.  Smooth out the mixture as evenly as possible reaching all the sides and the corners.  

I used dark chocolate and red chips to form a heart in the center. Once it was cooled I outlined the chips with gel icing. This does not have to be done but it was Valentine's Day.
<  If you add it to the center first,  it tends to 
pool in the middle and then the brownie ends up rising up higher at the 
edges, becoming REALLY uneven.> TRUST ME

Bake for 35 minutes or until middle is set. Let cool COMPLETELY and then lift the foil out and cut into pieces.
Enjoy!!




6 comments:

  1. mmmm love the idea of a brownie cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing!
    Thanks for sharing...
    x
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything Cheesecake is always welcome at my house :)
    You made this one look so lovely! My son is really getting into cooking and baking right now, so I hope in a couple years he will make something like that for Mothers Day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jutta, I knew you'd like this one.
      My middle son just moved out, so all are gone. he loves to cook. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
      I like the Mother's Day idea.

      Delete