Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sloppy Joes

Last night I was trying to think of something quick and easy...looking around I thought OH yeah, I'll make sloppy joes. No can, no jar, but home-made. I have done this before, no biggie.

hmmm biggie, I did not have any of the ingredients I normally use. Now what? So I popped over to my friend Cynthia's blog, Feeding Big, and was going to make her recipe. No go, didn't have what I needed, but I was close. So I improvised. It's what I do best.

Hope you like the recipe, my husband sure did. He said "Don't you ever bring another can of manwich in this house again" funny cause I can't tell you the last time I bought a can.

It really was good. I could have made a bucket full and it probably would have been eaten. Yes, it really was that good. Now when you see the ingredients you might think I've lost my mind. Trust me, it worked.

Sloppy Joes...homemade

1 lb lean ground beef
1/8 cup water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBSP yellow mustard
2-3 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 TBSP sweet and hot Asian chili sauce
2 TBSP molasses
2 red sweet salad bell peppers

Add the water, spices and ground meat in a skillet. Cook until almost done. Dice your peppers and add. Cook until the peppers start to wilt. Next mix the liquid ingredients in a bowl, add to the meat and peppers. Stir well and cover. Turn off the heat and set aside for 10-15 minutes.
Serve on a toasted bun with or without mustard and shredded cheese.
Add a salad or as we did slaw, fried potatoes and pickles.