Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pasta with Ceci

Do you watch Rachael Ray? I confess, I do. She can get on my nervous sometimes, she is too silly, "Love love love that" a little too much at times and she likes things that I do not; like "stupid" shows. If it is a slapstick style show, she loves it. I do not, but that's okay. That's what makes the world go around. Differences. You don't have to like her, her show or stupid shows.

One thing we all like, FOOD and that we can agree on. Good food is Great!

Last week I was watching RR and she made this pasta dish with chick peas. I love chick peas and use them a lot. So this caught my eye. A lot of times I have her show on but am really not paying attention, I'm busying working on the blog, Facebook or pinning recipes! Then I heard two words, pancetta and chick peas. I thought, whoa, let me pay attention.

I thought, oh I like this recipe but I would change it some. So of course I did.

On Sunday evening I made the dish, with my own twist, of course, who would know it was me if I didn't 'change it up'.

Pasta Ceci (pasta with chick peas)
original by Rachael Ray (for her recipe and instructions)

1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
14 oz chicken stock
5 green onions, whites only, sliced thinly
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb pasta- rigatoni
1 TBSP tomato paste
1/2 cup wine (I used red cooking wine)
1/4 cup EVOO
1 package of precooked diced bacon
1 left over rotisserie chicken thigh, skinned deboned and cubed
2 celery ribs diced
1/2 cup finely shredded/chopped carrots
3 sweet salad bell peppers diced
2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic
1/2 - 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 TBSP parsley

In a large non stick skillet pour the olive oil (EVOO) and toss in the veggies. Saute these until al dente. Now take 1/2 the can of chick peas and toss them in. The other half you will mash in a bowl and add the spices and tomato paste, stir well and set aside. Allow the chick peas and veggie about 5-10 minutes to cook. Pour in the wine, add the mash and stir well. Add the bacon and chicken at this point as well. Cook for 10 minutes or so. Add the stock and allow this to cook while you prepare your pasta. While the pasta is cooking if your 'sauce' starts to dry or cook out, add more stock. You don't want a runny sauce but you do want some liquid. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water to the 'sauce' and drain the pasta well. Place the pasta back in the large pot and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, stir well, then add the sauce. Stir well and serve!
This is so great, rich and meaty tasting without a ton of meat.
The left overs are great, just add more stock and heat up!

Enjoy!




I Heart Nap Time