Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Deep Dish Pizza

Pizza, who doesn't love pizza? Well, my youngest son, who is 19, did not eat pizza until about two years ago. Imagine! A teenage boy who did NOT eat pizza. We would eat pizza and he would eat chicken nuggets or salad. I know, crazy but true. He does now eat pizza, what made him change? This deep dish pizza. The first time I made it, he said it smelled and looked so good he would try it. Try it he did and even request it every now and again. So that should tell you it's a winner.

I used to make it very simply. Crust, meat, tomatoes and cheese. With my youngest in basic, I made it the way the rest of the family likes it. Loaded with all sorts of goodies that we love.

Check it out and give it a try!

Crust
1 pkg fast rising yeast
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup water
2 TBSP olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine yeast, 1 cup flour and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
Combine liquids in a saucepan and heat to 120-130 degrees.
Combine dry and wet in a mixing bowl. Beat 2-3 minutes on medium or by hand. Stir in the remaining flour and make a firm dough. Knead by hand for 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Add more flour if you need.
Let dough rest 15-20 minutes.
Grease a 13 x 9 pan and stretch dough out to fit. Pre-bake for 10 minutes.




Deep Dish Pizza
Take 13 x 9 pre baked crust and top with:
1 pound of cooked lean ground beef with 1 can of diced tomatoes. Add in 2 tsp each of garlic, basil, oregano and parsley flakes. After this has cooked top the dough, add pepperoni slices, olives, fresh diced raw orange and yellow sweet bell peppers and 1 1/2 cups finely shredded mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Cut into large squares and serve.



7 comments:

  1. Hi! I love this pizza - it looks delicious and not too complicated (very good for busy moms!!!)

    I'm your newest follower via GFC - can't wait to read more!

    ~LuAnne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you find a recipe or two that will keep you coming back.

      Delete
  2. Dawn, thanks for stopping by my blog. I just joined yours, I hope you join mine. This pizza looks so yummy. I'm going to make an eggplant dish this weekend, come back by Monday to check for the blog post!!!!! http://inlovingmemoryofgrandmamillie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I hope you'll bring this and other pizzas over to Food on friday over at Carole's Chatter. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carole. We love this pizza. Glad you stopped by

      Delete