Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Chicken Gumbo

Yep, it's 2013!
Did you party hard? Did you sleep in the New Year?
Whatever you did, I hope it was safe, fun and full of wonderful memories.
For the new year I thought I'd try something a little different, for me different. Gumbo. That may not be different for you but for this North Carolina girl, gumbo is not something I've cooked or eaten. So here is my take on gumbo. Don't shoot if you're from Louisiana cause it is NOT 'traditional', okay.

Chicken Gumbo

1 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken
32 oz chicken stock
1 cup diced, carrots,
3 green onions, sliced
1 stick celery, finely diced
3 sweet red bell peppers, finely diced
1 cup okra
15 oz tomato sauce
16 oz diced tomatoes with juice
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp basil and thyme
1 tsp onion powder
2 garlic cloves minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp paprika

  • First cook your chicken. Allow it to cool and dice. I used 3 boneless skinless chicken breast.
  •  Next saute the onion, carrots, celery, peppers and okra in a pan with 1 TBSP of olive oil.
  •  When done add all of these ingredients into a crock pot, set on high.
  •  Add remaining ingredients. Stir well and allow to cook for 2 hours.
  •  Serve over rice.


  1. I woke up long enough at midnight to say happy new years to hubby and promptly fell back to sleep. Happy New Years to you and a great recipe.

    1. Happy New Year Marly! Hope you were able to sleep and that this new year brings a better schedule for you. It was a tasty meal. dh said "that's a keeper"

  2. This looks really good. I love okra! Hope all is going well with you and your family. I am thinking about all of you.

    1. This was really good, I can't eat the 'normal' gumbo with seafood or sausage. So this was my version. dh loved it.

  3. This looks delicious. I love gumbo, but I have not made it in years. Going to have to do that again soon. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

  4. While theгe's no contract, Ailing said the cell phone phones will be "locked" to W&#1072l-M&#1072rt Family a &#609&#959&#959d idea to ask yourself how often you use the phone.

    My weblog dien thoai