Sunday, January 6, 2013

2 Pound Stew

Cold, wet, dark, dreary days of January call for something warm and inviting. Like this 2 pound stew! NO you won't gain 2 pounds. It is chocked full of vegetables and is a deliciously filling meal all in one bowl. Well, if you can eat just one bowl. The recipe originally called for 2 pounds of everything! That was a lot. So I scaled it back a little but it still makes a BIG pot full. My large crock pot was literally running over. You could use a stock pot or maybe just cut the ingredients in half.

My husband has been gone all week and since I knew he was on his way home and feeling under the weather, this crock pot full of bubbly stew was just what the doctor ordered. I served it with a fresh baked loaf of bread.

I hope you'll give this one a try.

Remember, if you want to keep up to date on all that's going on here, be sure to "like" my Facebook page. I keep my status updated with the latest on the blog, my life and what's happening over at Daily Dish!!
Facebook
Daily Dish



2 pound stew

*Originally this recipe called for 2 pounds of everything. I have cut it back but left the name the same*

1 pound chicken
1 pound ground beef and pork mix
1 pound potatoes, peeled, diced (I used Yukon gold)
1 pound carrots, diced
1 large onion, diced
1 can Le'sueur English Peas
1 can cream corn
1 cup whole corn (I used frozen)
1 can Lima beans, drained and rinsed
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
2 cans tomato sauce (I used canned diced tomatoes and pureed them in the food processor)
1 cup frozen sliced okra
2 cloves garlic minced
2 TBSP fresh cracked black pepper
1/3 cup EACH of soy sauce low sodium and Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup chicken stock

Cook your lean ground beef and pork, crumble well. Cook your chicken and once it has cooled enough to handle, remove skin, bones and shred. Save 1 cup of the liquid for the stew.
Combine ALL ingredients into a LARGE stock pot or crock pot and cook for 4 hours so that all the flavors can marry.
Serve with a nice bread and enjoy!




HungryLittleGirl

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I have to try this! It looks so delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Your newest follower from Let's Get Social Hop. :)

    Kathy @ lifeonlakeshoredrive.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Hope you'll try the stew and let me know how you liked it.

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks delicious! I love stews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that still sounds like a ton of stew! Stopping by from FFF Link Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but you'll eat every drop and want more! lol Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  4. Oh I love crock pot dishes, especially this time of year. This looks so good and filling! I could eat some right now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dawn I am in love with this stew! I like how it uses 3 kinds of meat - there is never too much meat in a dish for me ;)
    Thank you for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza - Hope to see you there again this week with more deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for inviting me and YES this is great! See ya Wednesday!

      Delete