Monday, December 10, 2012

Gingerbread House/village


Have you ever made a gingerbread house before? Have you purchased a kit and decorated one?

Well, me neither. I have made, many years ago, graham cracker houses with my boys. When they were much younger, we glued (with frosting) graham crackers and pasted candy on them. I had no idea at the time how to go about making dough for a gingerbread house and this was a fast, easy and inexpensive way of having some family fun, or so I thought. I think they ate more than they decorated and it did create some funny moments. Fast it is not. Once you start gluing your house together, you have to handle it with care and wait several hours if not days before decorating them. NOTE to those with small kids, glue them together first and let the kids decorate, save yourself the headache of the disappointed child who thought this was a 30 ordeal.

This year, we at Daily Dish, decided to start a tradition if you will. An annual gingerbread house competition. If you have not heard about this as of yet, follow THIS LINK to find out all about the ins and outs of the competition. It is open to readers as well as bloggers.


I did a lot of research on making dough, baking and building gingerbread houses. After much research and my internal struggle back and forth. I cheated, sorry, I bought a kit and created my own little village. I wanted to bake it myself, but after having some serious less than stellar results recently with cookies, I decided to give myself a break. I now have until next November to perfect my dough and building.  (grin)

Start a new family tradition, even if it is just you and your spouse. Maybe, it is something you could do with your grand-kids  Whatever you season of life, do something new, something fun and make memories for a life time.

Remember, take lots of photos and join us! You still have time.