Monday, November 19, 2012

Sweet Potato Casserole

This recipe was given to me from my MIL many years ago. I have tried several variations, made my own, and used a friends but always get the best "oohs and ahhs" from this recipe.

I made this yesterday for a big family dinner at my moms and will make it again for Thanksgiving!(I make one for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas)

First thing I do is bake a huge batch of sweet potatoes. After they cool off I wrap them in foil and place them in the freezer for later or in a large Ziploc bag if I'm going to use them up within a week. Baking them releases the natural sugar and makes your casserole that much better. (I like to do this because it makes the casserole quicker to fix, I can have mashed sweet potatoes during the week or warm up a baked one for a quick lunch.) The first few years I  boiled my potatoes and then made the casserole. However, one year I had left over baked sweet potatoes and thought, hmm, why not. YES we have a winner! It was sooo much better that I have done it this way for ... at least 10 years.

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (roasted first)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 TBSP butter
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a bowl, mix/whip eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla and milk. Mash in your potatoes and pour into a large casserole dish. Grease or butter the dish first. Next mix your topping.

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, softened or melted
Mix well and crumble on top

Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees

Enjoy! we always do :)