Tuesday, November 27, 2012

NEW chocolate chip cookie AND oatmeal cinnamon pecan cookies


Oh yesterday was such fun! I got to try out several new things.

1. my new stand mixer
2. my jar of coconut oil (you'll be hearing about that more later)
3. new recipe
4. new spatula :)
5. a secret ingredient to making fabulous cookies
6. light box

If you missed it, we already celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving. Our youngest son is leaving for the Air Force and we wanted to have our holidays together one last time.

I was blessed with new dishes, a stand mixer and a light box! SUPER excited and needed to make sure they all work, ha ha, I set out on making a few new recipes. Or revamped cookie recipes.

I did one cookie with coconut oil in the place of butter and one with butter. I baked both on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and made both with my new mixer, took photos using my light box. WOW I feel like a pro now! giggle

The secret ingredient? Cornstarch. YEP you read that right. Cornstarch. I read on a blog that it helps bind the dough together while making them crispy on the edges and still chewy on the inside. Well, I knew I had to give that a go. I have a tendency to make crunchy crispy hard cookies. No matter what I do. If they are done, they are hard, which I like but the boys want chewy. I have tried reducing the baking time and they turn out underdone/raw in the middle, I have reduced the heat with the same results. Also, they tend to burn on the edges...I think I need a oven thermometer. Using the parchment paper, the cookies baked evenly and were nice and golden on top and bottom with no burning. Also, the cornstarch worked. I played with the timing of each batch and found that no matter, they turned out the same. EUREKA I've done it!

You laugh! But have you ever slaved over a hot oven, spent tireless hours making cookies and been disappointed. Oh they are always good but not fabulous. Well, I found the secret. IF you already knew this, indulge me and say WOW. ha ha

Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 cup butter softened unsalted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 /2 cup white sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 bag milk chocolate chips

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line your baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl beat butter for 30 seconds, then add brown sugar, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat until mixture is combined, scraping sides of the bowls as you go. Beat in eggs one at a time and vanilla until smooth. Beat in a s much flour as you can and then add the rest by hand. Last stir in the chips.
Drop by round teaspoon 2 inches part and back for 10 minutes depending on your oven. Cool for 1 minute then remove to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 4-5 dozen depending on the size of your cookies.


Oatmeal Cinnamon Pecan Cookies

3/4 cup Tropical Traditions organic virgin coconut oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4  tsp baking soda
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecans
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups oatmeal, dry whole oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl add coconut oil, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon. Beat well until combined, scraping sides of bowl as you go. Add in eggs one at a time and vanilla, beat until smooth. Next add in as much flour as your mixer will allow. Then add the rest and oats by hand. Mix in pecans last.
Drop dough by spoonfuls onto sheets 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, allow to sit for 1 and move to wire racks to cool.

ENJOY