Thursday, November 8, 2012

Bacon Artichoke Pasta

I have been so sick for over a week and after seeing the doctor, getting medication and resting for a day, I was itching to get into my kitchen. I have been watching day time TV for the last week, if you know me, you KNOW I've been sick! I do NOT do that as a norm. So, I was watching Rachel Ray and saw her fix the recipe. I thought, hmmm this is something I'd like to try. Nothing like I've done before, it was quick, easy and we did enjoy it. My husband said "It's got bacon and onions how can you go wrong?" Spoken like a true Georgia boy!

Her recipe called for several things I could not get, so I improvised. She calls it Fat Spaghetti with bacon and artichokes.

Bacon Artichoke Pasta


Ingredients (italic words are what  I did different)

  • Salt and pepper (I only used pepper)
  • 1 pound bucatini, pici or spaghetti (I used garden fettuccine)
  • 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1/4 to 1/3 pound chunk guanciale, pancetta or center-cut bacon, chopped (I used 1/4 lb cheeks and 1/2 lb bacon)
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 3 to 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I did not use, I added more stock)
  • 1 cup chicken stock (I used vegetable stock)
  • 2 cups frozen artichoke hearts, thawed or 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (I used 1 can of artichoke hearts, drained and quartered)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Caciocavallo or Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving (I used Parmesan Reggiano)
  • 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
  • Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water.
    While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the guanciale (or pancetta or bacon) and cook until the fat is rendered, 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, season with pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, then the stock. Add the artichoke hearts and cook to heat through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Lower the heat to low. Stir the reserved pasta-cooking water into the artichoke sauce. Add the pasta, cheese and the parsley; toss. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and pass more cheese at the table.
    Not your typical Italian recipe and not something I would want often, but for something different, quick, easy and tasty, it was great.

1 comment:

  1. Can't lose with bacon R. Dawn! Thanks for sharing and co-hosting at Foodie Friends Friday Linky Parties!

    ReplyDelete