Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin

Have you ever roasted a pumpkin? Yeah, me either, until this past weekend that is.
Do you know that the 'regular' pumpkins that you decorate with are NOT for baking? Yep, that's right. There are baking pumpkins. I knew this but had never purchased one. You can eat the decorator ones but they do not have the same flavor.
Well, thanks to Tonya, I had the opportunity to roast a pumpkin. Why you may ask, well for one she is a giver, two she is a friend, three she is my son's girlfriends mother and four she wanted me to bake something! ha ha




First you must wash the outside with warm water, no soap.
Second, cut it in half, my wonderful husband did this for me because as hard as I tried, I could NOT cut the thing! You need muscle and obviously mine flew south.
Next, clean it out. I used a sharp edged ice cream scoop and it worked well. You can reserve the seeds, wash and dry to either roast later or plant next year.
Slice it into slices and chunks.
Place inside of a LARGE roasting pan.
Fill with 2 cups of water to prevent burning.
Cover and roast
It took 1 hour and 45 minutes for mine to be ready at a temp of 350 degrees.
Next allow it to cool off.
Drain the liquid, there will be A LOT, as pumpkin are mostly water.
Peel
Drain (place the peeled pumpkin into a strainer and allow it to drain overnight)
Puree (this is an easy process by placing the roasted pumpkin into a food processor or blender)
Bake away!!!!!!!!



2 comments:

  1. I love roasted pumpkin and use it all the time. But did you know that a butternut squash can be used to replace pumpkin puree. Yep, all punpkins are squash, but not all squash are pumpkins. Most winter squash are interchangeable with each other and some of the smaller ones roast faster than a large pumpkin and still have wonderful flavor. Just thought you would like to know. Thanks for sharing how to roast a pumpkin, I hope some people give it a try, they'll be glad they did because it's so simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love butternut squash and I have used it to replace sweet potatoes before and vice versa. Interesting tid bits about pumpkins and squash. Thanks and I agree, I hope more people will try it themselves. I know if possible, I will not be buying can stuff again!

      Delete