Friday, October 12, 2012

Milling and Baking

Sorry about not posting yesterday or so late today. You know today is Friday, so a lot of my attention goes to the tab "Foodie Friends Friday" this is our link party and as a host I have responsibilities. So many wonderful recipes to check out, new foodie friends to make, my list of "to try" and on and on.

My last few days have been taken up with milling and baking. Milling? you say, what is this you speak of? ha ha well, let me tell you. I am participating in a grain mill challenge. I was given the privilege of receiving a grain mill to test, review, blog about the process, take photos and write recipes for. It is super exciting! As soon as my mill arrived I opened it up and read the book. Then thought ,uh oh.

I live over an hour away from a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market, we have 1 yes 1 local health food store with 2 small locations. So my resources are very limited. So my challenge is even bigger.

Once I was able to purchase some grain, hard red wheat, as this was all they had. Then on to using the mill.

You see a mill is what turns the wheat berries into flour. I apologize if you knew this but it was all new to me a few years ago until I met someone who milled their own flour. I have been wanting a mill since then. NOW I have one :-)

This week I used the mill for the first time, the flour smells wonderful, it took just 2 minutes and feels softer than any body powder I've ever bought.

I made an egg bread and brownies. WOW the texture on the brownies was unreal, soft, moist and fall apart yummy. The bread was nice too but let's face it, chocolate will win hands down every time.

So, that's what I've been up to. Be on the look out for pictures and recipes of both the bread and brownies in the next day or two.
egg bread...first bread with fresh milled wheat

The Wonder Mill, super quiet

brownies made with fresh milled wheat...love the texture


5 comments:

  1. will be waiting to see pictures... I am kind of disappointed that I missed out on this... but it may come around again they said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to get chosen as my blog is new and I applied on the tail end. Pictures are coming later today.

      Delete
  2. I cоnstantly spent my half an hour to read this
    blog's articles or reviews everyday along with a cup of coffee.

    Also visit my page; atv rentals in phoenix arizona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not гefraіn from commenting. Perfectly ωritten!


    Have a look at my weblog bike rental omaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I inіtіallу left a comment I seem to
    have clicked the -Νotify me when new cоmments arе addеd- сheckboх аnԁ from now on whеnеvеr
    a сomment is aԁded І reciеvе fouг emaіls with the exact samе comment.
    There has tο be а meanѕ you аre able
    to remοve me from that servicе? Мany thanks!


    My web-site ... http://fredrickstarn.healthkicker.com/773211681/what-to-expect-together-but-now-work/

    ReplyDelete