Monday, October 29, 2012

Acorn Squash

Acorn squash, a funny thing, it is not an acorn and looks like a sweet potato inside when cooked. It has a interesting flavor, a cross between a squash and a sweet potato. At least to me anyway.

I bought one last week and decided to introduce my husband to something new. Actually we had a few new things. Pomegranate, which he had never eaten, acorn squash and quinoa. Two of the three were a hit, the last one he did NOT like at all. He will eat couscous if I fix it but he does like the Israeli style, it is larger and taste more like pasta.

The squash was easy, well after I cut it open. It is a tough little bugger to cut open, then the inside is sort of like a pumpkin with the stringy seeds. Just scrape those out and place the squash up side down in a baking pan. I added a little water in case. Placed in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Then I flipped them over and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on top and finished the baking process with another 15 minutes.

Done!

acorn squash

pomegranate

dry quinoa and cooked quinoa