Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Zesty Chicken Soup

I saw this recipe on I Thee Cook and it sounded great. I made a few adjustments so you can go to the website and see the original. Not all recipes turn out fabulous, even for us bloggers, this was good but I will do it different next time. Here is my version:

Zesty Chicken Soup (Original is: Zesty Chicken Rice Soup Slow Cooker)

1 pound boneless skinless chicken
3 cans chicken broth
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 TBSP cilantro
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 TBSP garlic
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 bay leaf
2 cups yellow rice (I used a bag of yellow rice mix with seasonings)
topping: jack cheese and green onions

All ingredients except the last two go into the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on low. I added the rice and it made a sticky mass in the bottom. NEXT time I will add the rice later or cook on high for 1 hour with precooked shredded chicken. You could also do this on the stove top.
It was really good but the rice was mushy and I don't like that texture.
Oh and by the way, not all recipes turn out fabulous ;-)

Enjoy!!