Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

Fall means so many different things to so many different people, right? Some people dread the end of summer because they love hot weather, the beach, longer days and such. Others long for winter, why I have no idea! ha Then there is me, I love Fall and Spring.

Spring time is when the flowers, trees and bushes are in bloom, new baby critters are popping up and it just feels like there is hope after a long cold winter. Spring time gives me a fresh perspective on life in general.

Fall the leaves change color, the temperature cools off, I can open my windows at night and hear all of God's creatures talking. Fall means that I get a break from the humidity, the hot long days, it means bon-fires, friends, cook outs, sweaters, hot tea, pumpkins, raking leaves and a calmer slower pace here on our backyard farm. It also means I can bake more and not run my a/c crazy from the additional heat! Leaves, scarecrows, pumpkins, hot cocoa, baking and on and on.

I mentioned pumpkins, do you love them? I have never been a fan except to use them as decorations. That changed when my youngest two boys began dating young women who love pumpkin. I started playing around with recipes and found out I do like them! Well, when I cook them at least. ha ha

I am sure, or at least I hope you have, seen and maybe tried my Crumb topped chocolate chip PUMPKIN muffins they are really good!

Today I made pumpkin bread. Nothing fancy, just easy and tasty. I normally make it without any "add in's" because the 'girls' like it like that. BUT I like it with chocolate chips and nuts tossed into the mix. Today however it just has a handful of chocolate chips. It is sitting on my counter now, taunting me. See, I'm working on self control. Let's see how long it sits there before I cut off a chunk, cough I mean piece.

I also made some Italian Herb flatbread, that is gluten free. I am not gluten intolerant but wanted to give it a try. You'll read all about it on 1 Oct when I tell you about my Foodie Pen Pal box of goodies! Be looking for that post because it will be chocked full of goodness.

Now, on to the bread.

Pumpkin Bread 
1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
1 1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 small can pumpkin
1/3 cup water
1 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground clovers
1/2 tsp cinnamon
OPTIONAL 1 cup nuts,raisins or chocolate chips , your choice

Mix the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, pumpkin and water. Measure the flour by dip method. In a bowl blend the dry ingredients and add to the pumpkin mix. Stir in your optional ingredients now. Pour into a well greased bundt pan and bake for 1 hour on 350 degrees.

Enjoy!