Friday, September 21, 2012

Chicken and wild rice casserole

First let me say THANK YOU and WOW. I signed on this morning to see that I have had 6000 views! Wow... I am shocked and thrilled.

Also, be on the lookout, I was chosen to participate in a grain mill challenge! I will be receiving a FREE grain mill and making recipes with this mill. I will blog about it and the company will feature my blog on their site, plus give me a profile page on their site. When this is up and running I'll give you more details. Thank you to Grain Mill Wagon for this wonderful and exciting opportunity.

Now, on to the recipe. Oh man was it ever good!! I have used wild rice with long grain before, I have a fabulous soup that I do, but this is a little different, creamy, rich and full of flavor. My husband loved it. Both the boys were gone so I can't say what they thought. I could have eaten the whole thing it was so good, but yes I refrained. Now there are leftovers for lunch. Can hardly wait!

Chicken and wild rice casserole

2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
I cooked a 2.5 pound bag of frozen chicken tenders in enough water to cover with about 1 TBSP of Mrs. Dash no salt seasoning mix
2 boxes of long grain and wild rice mix
1/4 cup flour
4 TBSP butter
2 cups chicken broth
1-2 cups water
3 carrots diced
2 TBSP EVOO
1 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese

Earlier in the day I cooked the chicken. Half was set aside for another recipe and I shredded 2 cups for this dish. In a pan I sauteed the carrots and garlic powder in the EVOO. The flour and butter were added, cooked until slightly tender and a rue was formed. Then the chicken broth and water were added. To this I stirred in both boxes of rice and the seasoning packets. Allow this to cook and thicken, add more water if you need to but don't make it runny. This cooked for 10 minutes. The cheese and chicken is now added back in. Stir well and pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Enjoy!