Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili

Last September I found a new chili recipe that we feel in love with. The original recipe did not call for meat, and it was divine. However, I live with a carnivore who insist on meat. So, I have added ground beef to the recipe. If you are vegetarian or vegan you can still fix this delicious chili by leaving out the beef. The first time I cooked this I did not use meat and my husband did enjoy it, but he said "It would have been perfect with meat". ha ha I thought it was perfect as it was. Oh well...

With cooler temps this week it got my mind thinking of chili and so I hunted up my recipe. I made several alterations from the original. So I will put both and you can decide which way you want to fix it, or a combo of the two.

Black Bean and Butternut Squash chili

Original
1/4 cup olive oil
3 onions chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2 jalapenos minced
4 cans black beans rinsed and drained
2 cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
3 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP dried oregano
4 cups butternut squash (about 2 lbs) peeled and diced
salt and pepper

My version
1 onion chopped
1 TBSP garlic powder
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper diced
1 small jalapeno seeded and minced
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can kidney beans rinsed and drained
8 oz tomato sauce, no salt kind
3 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP cumin
1 lb butternut squash peeled and diced
1 lb lean ground beef or ground turkey

In a pan saute meat, peppers and onions. Drain if necessary and transfer ALL ingredients into a crock pot. Set on low and cook for 6 hours.

Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment