Thursday, August 30, 2012

Vegan

What no meat? What you mean You no eat meat? It's ok I'll make a lamb! 

If you've seen the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you remember those lines. I always crack up when someone says "I don't eat meat" because those words pop in my head.

Well, right now, they come up a lot. My best friend whom I consider my "Sissy" and her 'man' are staying with us. They are vegan. She is mostly raw. This can be challenging when fixing meals. Once upon a time I was as well, however, from my site you know I no longer am. So, the past few days I have been on the hunt for filling, nutritious, delicious vegan recipes.

I have some from the past but am really looking to be adventuresome.

Today I have made another bowl of the Mediterranean Salad , faux meat mix/veggie burger mix and a healthy raw protein smoothie/shake. On top of having a whole chicken roasting in the crock pot for my husband and sons.

For the veggie burgers I got my inspiration from Angela over at Oh She Glows, she has some wonderful recipes and her pictures are beautiful. The mix I made is similar but not exact. I'll have a post and pictures up later. I tasted it and it is really good. 

Our smoothie/shake is really easy. Here is what I did:

Banana Oat Raw Smoothie
1/3 cup organic raw oats
1 frozen banana
1 raw banana
1 TBSP raw cashew butter
2 shakes of cinnamon
2 shakes of nutmeg
3 raw unsulfered prunes
1 cup coconut/almond breeze
2 TBSP coconut
1/3 cup water (we have a new well so this is fresh and clean)

All these ingredients went into my Vita Mix and off she went. Blitz up and ready to drink...oh yummy and filling as well.
Give it a try, you can use a regular blender. The frozen banana keep the drink cold and does not water it down like using ice. Also it adds a thick consistency like a shake would have.


Enjoy!

I'll be back later with pictures and details of the veggie burgers!

Well, the vegan burger tasted good but were ugly! They would not stay together and I wound up baking them in the oven. The few I cooked in grape seed oil tasted the best but they were tasty just ugly. They went beautifully with a bed of organic baby green mix and the Mediterranean salad. Everyone was satisfied as the guys had roasted chicken and the salad.

Veggie Burger


Yield: 7-8 patties
ingredients:
  • 2 cans of organic pinto beans, drained rinsed and mashed
  • 1/2 cup dry brown rice (or 1 & 1/4 cup cooked rice)
  • 3 tbsp sunflower seeds + 1 tbsp Pepita seeds, toasted
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup diced red pepper
  • 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 small carrot, grated
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup corn meal, or more as needed (use GF breadcrumbs if necessary)
  • 2-3 tbsp ground flax
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • Fine grain sea salt, to taste 
 
All these items were mixed together, patties formed and sauteed in grape seed oil.
I admit, they were tasty but very difficult to cook as the mixture would not stay together. I finished the remaining mix in the oven. Next time I will try chick peas as Angela did in hers.