Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tex Mex Night

Hi to all my lovely followers, friends and family, it has been a busy and stressful last few days and I have several post to do this morning.

First let me say THANK YOU for viewing and voting on this weekends Foodie Friends Friday post. I made #1 all thanks to your votes! I have made the top 3 every week that I have participated, except for one. We all a lot of wonderful recipes submitted.

Two of my favorites were  Chelseas recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon  and  Anita's Shepherds Pie both of these lovely dishes got my vote.

Our top 3 winners were, #1 Molasses Cookies from Spatulas On Parade , 2 Bacon Cheddar Fries  and 3 Salted Caramel Triple Chocolate Cake  both of these great recipes are from SAHM. Way to go!!
If you did not look at these recipes, please go over and give a look-see! We have some wonderful host/hostesses for our FFF party and our participants are just as wonderful.

Now on to a couple of new recipes. I called it Tex Mex Night because I'm not original enough to think of anything else,but it could be called dinner in hand, supper on the go, let your imagination run wild.

Mexican Black Eyed Peas (this recipe is by Molly over at When the Dinner Bell Rings, you can find her on Facebook)

4 cans black eyed peas
1 onion chipped
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp garlic
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP brown sugar
Crock pot  on low for 2-4 hours

That's it. Simple and delicious. I am not a black eyed pea fan, unless it is music, but I did enjoy this. My husband said "NOW that's the way to eat black eyed peas" Two thumbs up from the man, must be good.
This recipe was featured on Foodie Friends Friday


Tex Mex Pies

1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup frozen corn
2 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
1 TBSP lime juice
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
1 1/4 cup baking mix (Bisquick)
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs beaten

375 degree oven, 18 regular size muffin tin 

Cook the meal and onion until done. Drain if needed. Add the corn, spices, lime juice, and beans. Mix well. In a bowl combine the baking mix, milk, eggs and cheese. Allow the meat/veg mixture to cool slightly then add to the baking mix. Stir well. Fill a greased muffin tin and bake for 35 minutes or until they are done.
Serve with the black eyed peas, salsa, guacamole, sour cream or whatever you like.
If you are vegan or vegetarian these can be made without the meat and still be filling and delicious.

Enjoy!