Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Salmon Patties - whose a fan?

Wow, today is August 1st, can someone tell me where July went to or even April for that matter. I do declare this year has sped by with record breaking speed and I'm not excited about it at all.
A lot has happened so far this year. My son graduated from Paul Mitchell the School and began his career, my youngest got engaged and joined the Air Force. He will be leaving in December for basic training. My house will soon be empty except for all the fur-babies running around. They have sort of eased me into the whole empty nest thing. Last year my youngest graduated from high school and began community college. Our oldest was already in school so this left me at home alone for hours each day. THIS was a shock to my system. For you see, I had home-schooled them from early on. We were together 24/7 and liked it that way. So them going to college really hit me hard. I was a mess. I adjusted and now they are moving on with their lives. Just as it should be. They will have careers, families, a life and move on. I am excited as they embark on this new chapter in life, very proud and a little sad. If you have grown kids then you understand where I am with my mixed feelings. If you don't, hold on and don't blink! Today you rock them to sleep and tomorrow you watch them drive away. I love them and am excited for them and know that we have a special bond that time and distance can not change.


OK, so I totally got off subject here.
Salmon patties, yes. We love them, do you? Some people say salmon burgers but how can it be a burger if there is no beef? I call them patties, you can call them whatever you like.
My boys love them and had been asking for several weeks, "Mom when are you ever going to fix salmon patties again?" To which my husband replies, "Never, she's writing a blog and we probably won't ever get them again" oh my! So I decided maybe I'd better fix some and calm the restless natives before they became savages! ha ha
They were so good, I had forgotten it had been so long. To go along with them we had cole slaw, loaded baked potato salad, fresh sliced tomatoes and watermelon for dessert. We were all stuffed but in a good way.


Salmon Patties


3 cans of smoked salmon (I have a large family to feed)
5 TBSP flour
3 TBSP corn meal
2 eggs
1 tsp each of garlic powder, parsley,fresh cracked black pepper and onion powder
3 TBSP water
broth from one can of salmon, discard the other two


First you need to debone the salmon unless you spend the money to buy the already deboned type. We like the can salmon even though it is work to get all the bones out. Next you break apart all the meat and mix in all the ingredients.This mixture should be wet but not mushy. Form patties and fry in a skillet with enough oil to keep it from sticking. I cook them on low to make sure the outside is crispy but the inside is moist yet done. Remember there are raw eggs inside. Drain them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil and eat up!


Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. I love salmon patties. And, at least the way I have always eaten them, without a bun, they would definitely be patties instead of burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we eat patties, no buns just lots of wonderful side dishes.

      Delete
  2. My husband loves them! The rest of us like them. Lol

    ReplyDelete