Monday, August 6, 2012

Crock Pot Mexican Layer Bake

Oh wow, I'm behind! Friday night was an easy crock pot Mexican bake. Saturday was my dad's side of the family, family reunion and when we got home I was exhausted. So I whipped up some Pepperoni Bacon Pizza puffs and on Sunday I fixed a crock pot full of beans and ham, baked some biscuits and called it done.
The Pepperoni (bacon) Pizza puffs are here.

The ham and beans was for my husband. He is a ham lover. I purchased some smoked ham chunks from our local butcher, tossed those in my crock pot with some onions, green peppers, lima beans, butter beans, speckled beans, kidney beans, white kidney beans, carrots, beef broth and shut the lid. 4 hours on high and we were eating! I also made some biscuits to go with it.

The Mexican layer bake I normally do in the oven but did not want to heat up the kitchen Friday night, so I decided to fix it in the crock pot. It turned out fine. You should use your crock more often, trust me, it is a lot easier, less mess, less electricity and heat.

I want to say THANK YOU to all my friends and foodie followers who voted yesterday. My Orange Pecan Brownies came in second place. So once again I made the TOP 3!!! You really made my day. It is humbling, thrilling and makes me smile. I do hope that you are not just voting but also trying these recipes. When you do, please come back and let me know!

Now on to the:

Mexican Layer Bake (crock pot)

1 lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup water
1 orange sweet bell pepper diced
3 green onions diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
3 TBSP taco seasoning (recipe can be found on here)

Cook the beef along with the water, seasoning, peppers, onions and corn. Add the tomatoes and beans. Mix thoroughly.


Place some of the mixture in the bottom of the crock pot. Then place a layer of tortilla on top. I cut mine so I could get better coverage as my tortillas were small.


Next I placed  1/2 of the mixture on top and repeated the process.
Once I had all the layers complete I topped it with shredded Mexican blend cheese and placed the lid on top. I cooked it on low for 3 hours.

Done! Enjoy!!