Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Banana Split Cake

Now that I have your attention, yes, Banana Split Cake, however that is a little misleading considering there is no cake involved, no baking and very little effort. However, you will want to devour this whole 13 x 9 pan once you take the first mouth full, or that may just be me :-)

My mom made this years ago and it was a big hit, I made it for friends one year for Thanksgiving and from that time on they would ask me when I was making it again. It had been years since I made this and as I was combing through my recipes and clearing out the cobb webs from my memory banks recently that is when this lovely recipe came into view. I KNEW this had to be done right away.

With this hot weather I try not to bake as much and find light but filling recipes. Well, let me tell ya, if this doesn't hit the spot for you, well...I just don't know.


Banana Split Cake

2 cups of graham cracker crumbs, about 18 crackers crushed
1 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup butter melted
2 pkg. (8 oz each) cream cheese softened
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
4 bananas sliced
2 cups cold milk
2 pkg. vanilla instant pudding
small container of thawed cool whip
2 TBSP peanuts chopped
caramel sauce
chocolate sauce
maraschino cherries, halved

First grease a 13 x 9 pan and set it aside. Melt your butter and pour it into a bowl along with the crushed graham cracker crumbs and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Mix this well. Press the mix into the pan and set it in the freezer for at least 10 minutes but it works better if you leave it a half hour.

In a mixing bowl combine your cream cheese and remaining sugar. This you will spread over the crust after it is frozen, it makes for an easier spread.

Slice your bananas and place them over the cream cheese mixture, pour your drained pineapple over this and spread. Now mix your pudding with the milk and stir in half the container of cool whip. Spread this over the pineapple. Gently so as not to disturb all the under layers.

Top with the remaining cool whip. Now drizzle caramel syrup, chocolate syrup, sprinkle crushed peanuts and place the halved cherries on top.

WA-LA Done and man how gorgeous is that?!

Enjoy!
 As Mr. Food says "oh it's so good"