Thursday, July 12, 2012

Pasta E Fagioli Soup, Sock it to me Cake

Yesterday was an interesting day. I changed my mind on what exactly I was fixing for dinner, not once, not twice, but three times. What did I wind up with you ask, what I started with.

I had planned to make this fabulous soup, yes soup, I know it is July but once you fix this soup, you will understand that it does not matter what the weather, this is fabulous. Beside, you're gonna cook anyway right? The food will be hot, so what difference does it make if it is soup, stir fry or fried chicken. Hot food is still hot food. We have it in our heads for some reason that soup is a winter or rainy day food. Now I agree, a big pot of homemade soup on a rainy day suits me just fine but it was not as hot yesterday and it was stormy. So soup it was. Plus the added bonus is that my youngest son loves it, the picky eater, and he was actually home to enjoy it.

During the afternoon I wanted cookies but alas not enough butter, so I settled  for making  cake. Not your ordinary, run of the mill, out of a box cake. This is special cake. Homemade cake made with love, pecans and butter. Not an over-kill amount of butter, but just the right amount.

Hope you will these and agree with me that they are keepers!

The soup recipe I borrowed from Brandi over at The Country Cook she has some wonderful recipes. The cake recipe originally called for a box mix, but I made my own so it is not the same recipe as it started out, but better.

Enjoy!

Pasta E Fagioli Soup (slow cooker)

1 lb ground beef
2 carrots finely diced
2 celery stalks diced
1 can diced tomatoes drained
1 can kidney beans drained
1 can white kidney beans drained
26 oz beef stock/ 3 cups
1 -25 oz jar spaghetti sauce (I use the chunk garden variety)
1 tsp pepper
3/4 cup pasta (whatever you have will work I prefer elbow but was out)
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
I add 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp Italian seasoning to the meat when cooking it.

Cook and drain the beef. Add all the ingredients into a crock pot and stir well. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, toss in the pasta. Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese, bread and a salad. 


Sock It To Me Cake

3/4 cup softened butter, unsalted
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder (I use the kind without aluminum)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup all natural applesauce (I use this instead of oil)
1/4 cup water

Cream your eggs and butter, then slowly add the sour cream, applesauce, water, vanilla. Once this is done, sift together the dry ingredients and add into the creamed mix. Reserve 2 TBSP of the dry mix for the filling.

You should prepare a bundt cake pan, spray with baking spray or grease and flour the pan well. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.


Filling
2 TBSP dry cake mix
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP cinnamon
1 cup chopped pecans

Pour 2/3 of the mix into the bundt. Add in your filling on top of the batter. Now finish pouring the batter on top of  the filling.

Bake for 45-55 minutes depending on your oven.

Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and cool on a rack.

Glaze the cake with : 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 TBSP milk mixed. Pour over cake.

Enjoy!