Thursday, July 26, 2012

Veggie Tuna Mac (salad)

A year or two ago, I can't remember the way time flies, I saw a picture in a magazine of a lovely tuna pasta salad. I tried it and liked it but thought it needed a little something extra. I have made this salad several times and never make it the same, except for the spices. Go figure right, me changing things! ha


This time I started off my cleaning out the veggie bin in the fridge. A little of this a little of that and wa la! Clean bin AND a salad :-)


So, it is very simple and can be eaten warm or cold. This makes it the perfect lunch item or picnic/travel food.


With today's temperature over 100, I made this early yesterday and will enjoy it for lunch again today and possibly tomorrow.


Veggie Tuna Mac (salad)


2 cans of tuna, drained
1 1/2 cups of pasta(whichever style you prefer)
3 TBSP of mayo
garlic powder
McCormick's grilling steak seasoning
parsley
celery seed
onion powder
The amounts of the seasonings depends on the amount of salad you fix and how strong you like your flavors. I used maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp of each at the most.
Cook your pasta and drain well. Set aside to cool to room temperature.


Veggies: carrots, green onions, bell pepper, cucumber, squash, fresh peas, sweet corn, or whatever you have on hand. You can use celery and eliminate the celery seed just as you can use fresh garlic or diced onions and avoid those spices as well.


Place the veggies in a food processor to get a small chop or larger if you like. I like mine small in this salad.




Mix all ingredients together and serve warm or place in the fridge for several hours.


Serve as a side dish, a main dish, on a lettuce leaf, with crackers...I like to serve this with a cucumber salad, fresh sliced tomatoes and some multi-grain crackers. Serve watermelon, cantaloupe or a fruit salad for dessert and you have a meal fit for a hot summer day.


Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment