Monday, July 16, 2012

Redneck Dinner anyone?

Well, now, let's just hit straight from the hip. Redneck dinner, what does that thought invoke in your mind? Hot dogs on a stick, beer soaked chicken, burnt burgers?
How about a turtle burger? Yep, a turtle. Not a real turtle of course, but a mock turtle. When I saw these online I knew I had to make them. Not for me, but for my guys.
Oh My Gosh, my husband said "and you've not made these yet why?" when I showed him the picture. ha ha


To go along with this 'meat feast'  I made a wonderful light poppy seed slaw, a Fully loaded bake potato salad and sliced up some garden ripe tomatoes. Now mind you,I did not partake of the turtle eating, only in the making and baking.


The recipe on line, does not give you the correct amounts of food needed for these turtles. A pound of bacon, 9 hot dogs, 3 buns and almost 2 pounds of good lean ground beef went into the makings of just 3, yes 3 turtle burgers. ALSO, they are very hard to keep together. So there were a lot of toothpicks involved as well. I felt like a world class heart surgeon while making these and that's funny because this is an artery clotting meal!


Turtle Burgers
I used:
2 lbs lean ground beef
1/4 cup steak sauce
1 egg
1 slice homemade honey wheat bread, crumbled
pepper, fresh cracked black


This was for the burgers.


Plus a pound of bacon and 9 hot dogs, cut in half and cut for feet, head and tail sections of the 'turtle'. You need to weave the bacon.



Next make your burgers and place on the weave, stick the hot dogs in to form legs, head and tail, then wrap the bacon around. This was a trick and took me a minute to figure it out.


This is your cooked turtle. Cute isn't he?


Next is your turtle on a bun! ha ha I know I'm sort of sick and twisted. My guys are big eaters and they each were 'stuffed' after consuming this plate of food.
Poppy seed cole slaw was super easy. I took a bag of cabbage with carrots, diced up 1/2 of a green bell pepper and added 2 sliced green onions. The cole slaw mix was a little big for my taste so I chopped it up with my collard chopper. Then 1/2 of a bottle of Kraft's new anywhere dressing/dip Poppy seed. Mixed it well and done. I love the taste, the boys loved it but hubby not so much.


Last we had the Loaded baked potato salad. YUM I could make a meal off of this all by itself. Loved it.


Loaded Baked potato salad
6 medium potatoes diced and boiled, then cooled off
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
1/2 cup shredded cheese
8 slices of bacon cooked crispy and chopped fine
1 green onion sliced thin for garnish, you could use chives but I did not have any and did not want to make another store run.
Mix the mayo and sour cream, add black pepper, bacon and cheese, stir in potatoes and top with green onions. We ate this at room temperature and loved it. The cold leftovers were good as well.