Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Killer Beans

Many years ago I helped put together a church cookbook. Members submitted recipes and we organized, categorized, edited, typed and submitted for publishing these recipes.
To this day there are recipes that I use from the cookbook.
This was a favorite recipes among the guys, I have altered it a bit, as I do with most all recipes. My husband, sons and Dad all love this recipe. However, you might want to make it on a night when they can go outside for a walk, if you know what I mean. 
It is beans!

Here is my version:

Killer Beans

1 lb ground beef (turkey)
Adobo seasoning 1-2 TBSP
1 lb bacon,cut into pieces
1 onion diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4-1 cup ketchup
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can lima beans, drained and rinsed

Cook the ground beef, onions, bacon and Adobo seasoning together along with 1/3 cup water. Cook until done.
Add to a crock pot.
Dump all remaining ingredients into the crock pot.
Stir well.
Cook on low for 6 hours.

This is a wonderful filling meal that I serve cornbread and a salad with. It is a big hit any time of the year and if I fix this on one of our potluck nights, people we haven't seen in a year will show up for a bowl!

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. What the heck is Adobo seasoning???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debi it is found in the international section of the grocery store or Mexican area. It plainly says "Adobo". It is a mixture of several different spices and used in Hispanic and Latino cooking. It is inexpensive, I use it a lot.

      Delete