Monday, July 23, 2012

Italian Night

First, let me say THANK YOU for those who voted yesterday, Sunday July 22, on the FFF link.
Again, I made the top three! Thanks to wonderful friends and followers like you!


My hodge podge salad came in Second! It can be found on the weekend post for July 7-8:  click here Hodge Podge Salad

Now on to the update, yesterday was Italian day at our house. I made a wonderful Italian Herb loaf, baked ravioli and a summer crunch salad. Oh My!! All found in my own little head :-)

The Italian loaf was easy, I put all the ingredients into my trusty bread machine, set it on French and 3:50 hours later, wa la! Bread, oh and what a bread!

When my husband took the first bite of ravioli he said "WOW, I will never eat the stuff out of the can again" ! WOO  HOO a big hit! There were NO left overs, but there was enough however, that we had lunch and dinner. So 2 meals for 4 adults and 1 cooking :-) pretty good if you ask me.


Italian Herb Loaf

In a bread machine this makes a 1.5 lb loaf

1 cup water + 2 TBSP 80degrees
2 TBSP good EVOO (this added a richness that regular oil does not)
3 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 TBSP grated Parmesan cheese (in the can found in the refrigerator section of the grocery store)
3 1/4 cups bread flour
1 heaping TBSP Italian seasoning
Red Star active dry yeast, 1 pkg

Set to FRENCH program



Bake Ravioli

1 pkg frozen 4 cheese ravioli, mine was "Fresh Italian Ravioli" from Aldi
1 jar garden chunky spaghetti sauce
1 lb lean ground beef
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Italian cheese mix
13 x 9 pan

Cook the meat with the Italian seasoning, stir in the jar of sauce, add the ricotta cheese and mix well. Set this aside. Boil a pot of water, add salt 1 tsp, then once the water boils, add the ravioli. They don't take long, once they float and the center is soft, they are done. Be gentle with them. Take the 13 x 9 pan, sprinkle in some Parmesan cheese, place enough ravioli on the bottom to cover, now take and sprinkle some of the Italian shredded cheese over this. Mix the remaining ravioli in the sauce, gently. Pour over the ravioli in the pan. Top with the remaining Parmesan and shredded cheese. Broil for 5 minutes. Done!



To top off this wonderful meal, I added a salad, I'm calling it summer crunch salad. Basically, I cleaned out the fridge!

DJ’s Sugar Shack baked ravioli was linked to #10 Whatcha' Whipped up at  DJ's Sugar Shack

Summer Crunch Salad

1/2 head of Romaine lettuce
1/2 pint blueberries
1 ripe pear
1/3 cup dried berry blend
2 TBSP pumpkin seeds, roasted
1 medium cucumber, peeled and sliced
3 TBSP poppy seed dressing

Mix well and serve

I got to thinking about this salad. I could do a Fall crunch as well. Replace the blueberries, pumpkin seeds and pear, with apple, cranberries and walnuts. Yum

Enjoy!