Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Gooey Candy Bar Cake

Almost two years ago for my sons birthday, I made him a gooey candy bar cake. We have this thing, on birthdays you have a choice, either we go to a restaurant that you like OR I fix a meal of your choice. Of course for my birthday we go out :-)
Two years ago my son said, surprise me. So knowing how he is, I started my search a month before his birthday. I found this recipe and when I read it, I KNEW this was what he would flip over.
I was right! It was a big hit!
I have been told since then that it has several names. All I know is, the recipe   I copied out of a book, which one I have no idea, called it Gooey Candy Bar Cake. So that's what we call it. That and DELICIOUS.


Gooey Candy Bar Cake



Ingredients

  • 1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (I usually use Eagle Brand. However, feel free to choose whichever brand you please.)
  • 1 Box Chocolate Devils Food Cake Mix (You will also need the ingredients indicated on the cake box, such as eggs, ect. but now I only make my own cake and no mixes)
  • 1 Container (can, bottle, ect.) Caramel 
  • 4-5 Bars of Heath candy, Crushed. ( I used 2 full size)
  • 1 Container Whipped Cream, (You can make the whipping cream, or purchase a tub of Cool Whip)

    Instructions

    1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for shiny metal or glass pan or 325 degrees Fahrenheit for a dark nonstick pan as indicated on the cake box. Use the middle rack of your oven for the most even baking.
    2. Prepare cake mix as indicated on the box.
    3. Pour cake mix into a 9X13 pan.
    4. Bake for approximately 30-35 mins. Or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
    5. While the cake is baking. Mix the caramel topping and the can of sweetened condensed milk. For a more gooey cake add lots of caramel and for a less gooey cake, add less.
    6. Once the cake is finished baking. Poke holes into the cake while it is still warm. You can used the end of a wooden spoon to do this. 
    7. Pour the caramel and sweetened condensed milk mixture over top of the cake. Covering the entire surface.
    8. Let the cake cool and prepare your whipped topping. You can either use whipped topping that has already been prepared, such as cool whip. Or you can make your own. It depends on which you personally prefer.
    9. Once the cake has cooled. Spread a layer of whipped cream over the top of the entire cake. You can make this layer as thick or thin as you would like.
    10. Crush your Heath Bars. I usually leave them in their packaging and carefully hit them with a hammer. Sprinkle the crushed heath bars over top of the whipped topping covering the entire cake.
    11. I normally add more caramel to the top and drizzle a little chocolate syrup.You are finished! Eat and enjoy your masterpiece. Please be sure to store any leftovers in the fridge.
    Enjoy!!