Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chicken and Fish

Oh man, what a delicious last few days it has been. The weather cooled off, well, under 100 and we have had lots of rain. I do wish the rain would come without the storms, but at least we are all safe and no damages to our home, cars, property or person. So in light of that, it's all good.


So, Monday we had Citrus Ginger chicken, rice and hodge podge salad, I made a huge bowl and we have eaten it for several days. The great thing about raw food verses cooked food, it seems to last longer and doesn't have that day old reheated taste.


Yesterday I was on a cooking frenzy. I had been thinking about fish tacos, why, I have no idea. Oh yes, I saw a lovely photo on  The Foodie Physician and it just really inspired me. I did not have slaw or a jar of chutney but I had some wonderful fresh fruit and veggies in my fridge that I was certain I could make a wonderful salsa with. Well, let me tell you, it was FABulous! Yes it was. I have cooked fish tacos one other time and they were okay, but I have had them several times at a local restaurant and loved them. I had to try again. The result, a winner! Even my son loved them and he is not a big fish fan. I used Talapia, which I had frozen fillets that were bought some time ago and I just had not used. So glad I had them. I did borrow the spice rub for the fish from  The Foodie Physician and I must say, she was right on the money. I did however add an ingredient to the rub. You know I can't leave anything alone!


Then for last nights supper, oh wow, wow, a recipe I saw on Pinterest, if you have not checked this place out, go, run, do it now. OH WAIT, read this first and check out my recipes and photos, then go. Thanks! ha-ha  So back to what I was saying. The recipe was for Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken, I must say, it was time consuming and I really like quick fix meals. However, it was delicious. My husband said it was OK, but my son and his friend (who is temporarily living with us) loved it. We also had leftover rice, hodge podge salad and fresh corn out of the garden, which R said he had never had fresh corn. Thankfully he liked it and was not disappointed. Dessert consisted of fresh local grown cantaloupe. We had to lighten things up somewhere after eating the Pudding on Steroids yesterday! wow..... they guys have eaten the WHOLE thing! Yep, all of it. For some reason I am not surprised.


Now on to the recipes and photos!


Enjoy!


Citrus Ginger Chicken


1 1/2 lbs of chicken
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 T honey mustard
3/4 tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp if you use fresh
1/8 tsp red pepper flake, more if you like it spicy


Mix the ingredients together and pour over chicken in a crock pot. Cook for 4 hours on high. Serve over rice with a veggie or salad.
This was an experiment and next time I will add more seasoning as it was very tasty it needed more flavor.




Fish Taco


4 Talapia fillets (cut in half)
tortillas
mango salsa (see below)
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp chili powder (my add)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black powder
olive oil (to cook the fish in)


Make a rub with the spices and rub into the fish, all sides. First you must cut the fish into strips. Allow the rub to soak in, while this is happening make the salsa. Now saute the fish in olive oil. This only take a few minutes per side. Take a tortilla and place a slice of fish inside and top with salsa. You could also add slaw if you wanted. This was delicious.
Rub
fillets cooking
mango salsa
finished product







Mango Salsa
2 limes juiced
1 cup mango diced
3 green onions sliced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/2 tsp dried cilantro
1 jalapeno finely diced or more if you like heat. I left this out as I can not eat hot/spicy foods.
Stir all together and allow to sit while you cook the fish.


This recipe, Fish Taco, is Number 112 Featured on Foodie Friday



Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken


This recipe can be found at:
http://rockrecipes.blogspot.ca/2012/04/doube-crunch-honey-garic-chicken.html

I followed the recipe except that I cut back on the spices as I felt they would be too strong for my pallet. I also used a 2.5 lb bag of chicken tenders that I pounded out flat. I have a lot of guys to feed, the flour and seasoning mix was more than enough for the added amount of chicken.


In the flour mix I used:
2 cups flour
2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 TBSP ginger powder
1 TBSP nutmeg
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp sage
2 TBSP paprika
1/2 tsp Cayenne


plate of chicken
close up

GREAT meal!!