Friday, July 20, 2012

At Long Last

This was what my husband said about supper last night, At Long Last! He has been waiting on this for over a week. I had other things planned, dishes to try, heat to beat and so on. I finally succumbed to the pressure of his stomach. These were a hit! I am glad, since he had waited so 'patiently' for them, that he really loved them. He was also pleased with the roasted veggies. These I have done numerous times but never thought of fixing them in the crock pot.


I did however change the recipe for the peppers, of course (wink) you know by now that I don't do well with following directions.


But Thank You to Divalicious Dishes for this recipe and idea. I have done stuffed peppers many ways but her looks so yummy. However, in my haste I did leave out a few things and change a few. Sooo, you can check out her recipe but here is what I did:


Mexican Stuffed Peppers


1 lb lean ground beef
1/3 cup water
2 TBSP taco seasoning
1 cup fresh white sweet corn
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
4 large sweet bell peppers, cut in half
1 cup Mexican cheese, shredded
1 cup rice
2 cup beef broth
1 cups water
1 TBSP dried cilantro


Cook the beef with the water and taco seasoning, breaking up the meat well. Add the beans and corn, stir and turn off. In a medium sauce pan cook the rice in broth and water adding the cilantro. Cook until done. 
Mix the rice with the meat mixture.
Stuff into peppers and steam. I chose to steam them versus heating up the kitchen with the oven. Once the peppers are tender, top with cheese and allow this to melt.
Serve immediately


I have health issues and sometimes just want to lay off the meat, so I also prepared a crock pot full of roasted veggies. I normally do these in the oven as well but chose to give my faithful crock pot a crack at it. I must say it worked out well, I will not cook them as long next time as some veggies turned a little mushy, but tasty all the same. This recipe I normally fix in a 13x9 pan and roast for 45 minutes if you would like to try the original way.








Crock Pot Roasted Veggies


1 large sweet potato
3 small red potatoes and 1 large white(this was what I had)
1/2 bag of baby carrots
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1 red onion chopped
2 small squash
1 med. zucchini
2 TBSP brown sugar
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP Rosemary


Stir the oil, brown sugar and rosemary together and place in the crock pot. Dice and chop all your vegetables. Dump them into the pot and stir well. Set on high for 4 hours. Every hour give a good stir.


When I do this in the oven, all veggies go into a roasting pan or 13 x 9 and the brown sugar is sprinkled on top, the rosemary is sprinkled on top and the oil is drizzled over. This roast for 45 minutes. Stir at the half way mark.







Enjoy!